What Was Your GATEWAY Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rescued74

Registered Member
Jan 2, 2012
New Jersey
Real Name
Mike
About 17yrs ago I got a RedBelly Pacu from the pet store and put him in a 20g tank. Thanks to the smart pet store people.. (I know and my uneducated fish knowledge) I had to get a larger tank. Of course the tanks got again larger, and well with all those extra tanks lying around...the rest is history. That Pacu lived for about 6 years before an unfortunate event. 18"
You can catch me in those pet stores buying supplies and advising people what to buy and not to buy...I should just get a **** job there.. NOT

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
Before i knew anything about anything i had turtles, and if anybody has kept sliders they know how messy they are. Anyways, the tank had incandescent bulbs on it and was in front of the window so needless to say it was green green green green green water within 3 days of a water change. Of course I would BLEACH the tank once a week when i cleaned it so there was nothing that even hinted at a cycle. lol. anyways I had these turtles and i wanted something to clean the glass so i had read that a large common pleco can keep up with them and will eat the algae (stupid stupid stupid:barf:) So i got one and thought he was pretty cool i even got about a 6 inch one so he'd have a chance....wrong....they figured out how to get past his armor by grabbing him by the dorsal fin and pulling him off the glass and then going for his soft belly...when i found out i almost threw the turtles in the street. I was literally standing there with one in each hand on the front lawn with my wife being like "Ellis no!" and pulling on my arms trying to get them back lol. Anyways within 6 months i rehomed the two dirty jerks and turned what used to be their tank into a pleco habitat.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Pan fried bluegills.....

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
ooooh beer battered halibut....:nilly:

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Well, my first ever fish as a betta when I was like 8. Now I have another along with my other tanks. The whole reason I got back into fish again was because I wanted some sort of shark. But with a 5g tank, no way was that going to happen. Since then I have learned a lot about fish and keeping them successfully. Maybe later on in life I will get a big tank and have some sort of shark.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I got into it when I was about 11 years old - i was shopping with my mom and went next door to a Pet Smart. There I spotted tons of fish and was immediately intrigue and got a small 2.5 g tank with swordtails and mollies!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
This little monster ..A prickly sculpin got her at under an inch.
Picture118.jpg

i had tanks before her but never on the scale i do now even bred bettas for a while but this fish is what gave me the passion to keep fish the way i do.
..scooped her up while catching crays at a local lake..she went from a 3 gallon to a 10, 20, 40, and we keept them all up than we grew feeders for her that added more tanks and more and than we found other fish like her that we liked and filled the tanks...im at 10 tanks now from 65-3 gallons.

and here she is today..fat happy and a laaaaazzzyyyy beast named Shelob ^_^
7 and some inches

DSC06378.jpg

Picture118.jpg DSC06378.jpg

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Zebra danios, kept 3 of them in a 2.5 gallon with a big crappy internal filter. The were bulletproof, no water changes, probobly got (over)fed only 2-3 times a week, ect. They also survived being knocked onto the floor from about 4 feet in the air when their first little tank got broken by a cat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store