What Works for Me May Not Work for You

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
The Inner Workings of a FF tank. Setting Fireworks into position.... :)

1: Fish aren't fragile, they can survive in conditions less then optimal. My mollies have been through hell and back with me, they're all doing great.
2: Molly Fry can be drop-n-plopped from freshwater to saltwater and back to freshwater without any side affects on the fry.
3: I don't test except when something goes wrong or when cycling a tank.
4: If the fish is a molly it's also my tank-tester.
5: WCs every week. Maybe more then once a week.
6: Plastic Plants are a savior.
7: I consider over-filtering and godliness to be synonymous.
8: Goldfish are indestructible. The ones I had were 5in long in a 30tal (in my defense I thought it was a 40 tall) and had one filter. No WCs. Did fine for years, never saw anything wrong with it until you people poisoned me with your rules :D (I'm glad you did, they all got good homes).
9: When buying new fish, QT is wanted but not absolute.
10: Drip acclimate for 1-2 hours before adding fish.
11: My 40gal gets a cap of primer for a 20gal WC.
12: In my planted tank I only have a powerhead and plants, no filters. Period.
13: So long as it holds, anything can be used to keep electrical sockets and extension cords above the tank water.
14: When you have a sickness, do plenty of WCs, that's the best solution. Usually they sort themselves out. (I have proof/experience to back this)

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
- I do large water changes weekly.
- I have no problem changing up to 90% of tank water at once.
- I feed a mixture of pellet types (sizes and ingredients) in addition to fresh veggies.
- Occasionally I feed live foods to my CA/SA cichlids. (crickets, meal worms, earthworms, ghost shrimp)
- I heavily stock and heavily filter.
- I detest filter maintenance.
- I very rarely test my water.
- The behavior of my fish tells me everything I need to know about their health.
- I do not acclimate fish that have been shipped in. I want them out of the toxic shipping water ASAP. I have not lost a single one with the drop and plop method.
- The secret to having a healthy, stable tank is to keep your hands out of the tank. The more you mess with a tank the more unstable it is and the more likely you are to have problems. Aside from wc, gravel vaccing, and filter maintenance, I hardly do anything to my tanks.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
may aswell
DON'T TAKE MY ADVICE ;D

- I don't QT
- Only ever test water when I need to
- I HATE algae :D
- I only do water changes on a Sunday, cause every other day I can't be bothered.
- I mostly do water changes every two weeks
- I name some of my fish if I have had them for more than around two months
- I always want my tanks to be perfect, but they never are...
- I love the tea colour in one of my tanks, so my BW is pretty awesome with its tannin shizz ;D
- I don't like feeding my fish fry to other fish :/ its a problem and its nature but I get attached to them quickly haha
- Overstocking is the way to go, it works better for me somehow plus I like active tanks.
- No carbon, Co2 or any other expensive shizz in my tanks, cause I am just so *cough* cheap *cough* awesome.
- I have tonnes of fish books...like a boss
- I have aeriation devices in my tanks, cause the fishes lurv them ;D
- I keep all my nets/sponges etc in a goldfish bowl my gran gave me

so, yeah...this is what my fish have to live through on a daily basis...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store