What would be the best scavenger for a sump??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

west1

AC Members
Nov 16, 2007
Trying to add something to help with the poluting of the water slow down a bit (trying to get what ever food makes it to the bottom chowed down).

My water is not messed up at all, just dont want food to sit and get worst over time since I dont clean my sump once a week (more like once every 6 months)
Anyone??

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
Feed less and use a siphon.

west1

AC Members
Nov 16, 2007
Feed less and use a siphon.
He he, I dont over feed my fish.
I am just trying to get a little something to get what ever little pcs go down there. Not like I'm throwing in 20pcs of market shrimp:)
I feed enough to see its all gone.
I look in the sump and I see very min pcs of food and just want to add a little something to catch the food

any suggest..

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Scavengers will poop. You will have to clean up the poop. May not alleviate the issue entirely.

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
If the sump has some light, how about some plants in there? Java moss might absorb some nutrients before the algae can get to it...

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
What kind of fish do you have, and what size tank/sump is it? I rather like Malefic23's idea of planting the sump. A few shop lights would provide plenty of lighting for even a huge sump tank, and having a planted area in the sump would certainly help remove some extra waste from the water. As far as small chunks of food just sitting there and rotting, you could probably set up a coarse sponge pre-filter going into the sump that you can take out and rinse once a week or so. (coarse so it doesn't trap everything, just enough filtration to catch the food pieces you don't want going through the system)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store