What's going on with this thing??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I have an Aquarium Systems skimmer...
I'm assuming it's a Seaclone 100 by picture comparison, but regardless; it's a venturi style skimmer. It appears all the Aquarium Systems skimmers are...

I have my 10 gallon tank ready to go, as soon as I get my baffles cut and glued in..
Right now, I'm gonna try to bend some acrylic to build some "live rock platforms" to keep my fish from burying them...

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
How about this:

Instead of dealing with building a weir box, I can do a simple pvc overflow...

The only question this poses for me now; If I run that into the skimmer directly, it will most likely oversupply the skimmer.. If I run the system like this, I'll need to run the skimmer independently in the first sump chamber..

Correct?

CAD sump design vers3 w overflow.jpg

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Here's the final product, after I added the rest of the sand...
I also made some platforms from bent acrylic to stack my rock on.. Cuts down on sand buildup, as the damsels seem to dig a lot less now that they can get under some of the rocks..
The other pic are my wife's babies.. One getting ready to eat, and one already fed a yummy minnow...

100_0868.JPG 100_0869.JPG

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Oh....and you should run your type of skimmer independantly, and not have the overflow running into it, it will not work like that. Just have both in the Inlet area of the sump..

Niko

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I LOVE your material!!

I'll take 1 ream!

Yeah, I figured as much with the skimmer..
Does it look like the setup will work, otherwise? Assembly will start in the next few days...

New Reefer

AC Members
I have an Aquarium Systems skimmer...
I'm assuming it's a Seaclone 100 by picture comparison, but regardless; it's a venturi style skimmer.
All the Aquarium Systems skimmers are rather unloved by most marine aquarists, and for good reasons - they really don't skim very well. Your Seaclone won't work with a direct-feed from the tank, and the best place to keep it would be in the middle compartment of the sump.

Instead of dealing with building a weir box, I can do a simple pvc overflow...
This won't work - the overflow will lose syphon if the water flow stops, and will not be able to re-start when the return pump starts pumping water into the tank - this will result in the tank over flowing until the sump runs dry.

Here's a diagram of a very good auto-restarting overflow box & syphon which I've found somewhere on the 'Net some years ago. I built this system, and it worked very well.

And here are two photos of the outside unit I built:

Hope this helps...

Hennie

Last edited:

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Was the minnow for the lion? Be careful giving it FW fish to live on.
Actually, it was recommended (or guppies) until he was big enough to eat krill...

I'm gonna try and give him some krill in another week or so..

Should I hand feed him? :headshake2:

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Will the skimmer be counterproductive for the heater, or Live sand, If I choose to include it in the center compartment??

I like this design.. I have quite a bit of 3/4 acrylic left from building my hood... You think marine epoxy would be the way to go?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store