What's kribensis season time?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MotorcyclesFish

English
Dec 2, 2001
South London, England
Visit site
Ok when i first got my male + female krib she was purple in the belly and kept trying to court the male - he wasn't interested. Since then i've actually attempted to condition them both by:

1. Temp up to 78F
2. Frozen bloodworm/daphnia/mysis every night
3. A couple of flowerpots provided - the male has definitely chosen one as his.

however, the female has lost her purple belly which i assume means she is not in breeding condition at the moment. How long can i expect to wait before she gets into season again? The male chases her, but now she just runs off, no longer bending/shaking like before.

Thanks for any replies

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
what size is your tank? are there other fish with them? mine breed like rabbits. you can view my tank specs on the link below.

my temp stays between 76 and 78F and i rarely feed anything but flake and mini-pellets. there's another thread posted within the last 24 hrs that i went into a little more detail, but at a glance, i started with 4(2 pair) the dominant pair formed, but the submissive pair never did. he didnt want anything to do with the female until the dom pair was removed.

MotorcyclesFish

English
Dec 2, 2001
South London, England
Visit site
okay also in the tank are two madagascan rainbows - but they keep their distance most of the time.

other than that there's a peckoltia vittata (Clown plec) who has a different cave to himself and only seems to come out after dark, and 3 otos who run away every time they see a fish and 2 hara hara cats which are so small that the kribs swim right by them and don't see them.

the tank is a juwel rekord 96 approx. 30x12x15 inches.

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
i have a couple of different rainbows in my tank as well. how long have you had the kribs? id just give them some time. once they start breeding and get the whole parenting thing down, they do it quite a bit.

MotorcyclesFish

English
Dec 2, 2001
South London, England
Visit site
the kribs have been in a couple of months now - the first month though, they were at the mercy of some pint-sized lil' lamprologus shell-dwellers, which were my previous "i want cichlids" idea. before that i'd tried julies :rolleyes: i'm gonna need convincing to go back to africans :rolleyes:

anyways the lamps went about a month ago, and since then the kribs have just been swimming about, investigating this and that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store