Whats so good about common fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I'm in Markham ontario...

Listen, if you like big whitish fish, then get BRYCON... beat tinfoils into the ground, plus they are MUCH rarer...

Last edited:

keitarou

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Denton Texas
theanimeplace.com
getting a little hot in here????

No I do not keep rare fish because I do not have the $ or even the ability for that matter, but I do aspire to do more challenging things. I would never love my gold fish less for having rare fish, but I would love to have a "rare fish". My definition of rare being very dificult to keep and of a pure bloodline. I have kept fish and amphibians since I was 3. A large part of the fun is doing the research and learning how to best care for a fish that you have never owned. As you learn more about fishkeeping you may have to reasult to keeping exotic fish to have a challenge.

I could not imaging the feeling I would have if I had found two extremely rare or endangered fish in captivity and had breed them, helping ensure the sruvival(at least in captivity) of the species.

I would imagine keeping dificult fish the same reason I chouse to put 2000 and 100+ hrs into my 67 mustang last summer rather than a down payment on a new, easier, more comfortable new care. It takes much more to keep my car. Yes, a 2003 stang is a great car and I would very much enjoy it, I will always like my classic better because
A. after 35 years pepole say "wow, thats a 67 mustang" and they know how much I must love cars to find one, restore it, and to keep it running.
B. after all the work and time I have put into it we are closer and it has more personality

my car is in need of a new paint job, and in my opinion a 2003 stingray looks much better, but for cars ( and fish ) worth is not always in beauty but sometimes the investment you have in it. It would not take near as much time no have the new car, but I enjoy spending time, effort, and enegry on my car.
Personaly a very healthy and happy rare fish will mean more than a tank full than a bunch of happy neons that were easy to get and keep. I would never put the effort into a fish that was not worth it, but the more time I spend and the harder I work the more i will enjoy my fish. Everything I would have learned, and al the time I spent as a fish keeper would be put into keeping a dificult fish. To me that is the worth of a fish.

Many years from now I will hopefully will have a marine tank with some very exotic species and a tank with some very old goldfish. After having the exotics for years I will be just as proud of both. It is my knowledge of how much I have given them and how much they have given in return.

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
i got a crocodile in my 2foot tank. i had to put it in a blender first. now who else has one of THEM.

its a daft topic i believe.

silly

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
For most of them,either their size or requirements,usually they are rare in the wild as a species because they are not profilic

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
or because there butt ugly. :D

there are plenty of rare, ugly fish out there, why does nobody keep those? :confused:

dont forget, most of the fish we see in stores are there for some good reasons.

1. there easy to care for and feed
2. usually they can be bred
3. there colorful and in demand.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Whats so good about common fish?

Well, my Q tank has guppies and mollies and they are great common fish!

Seems the topic went to 'rare fish', so I should add Discus are very rare in central Florida. Sure, there are some, but not very healthy to say the least...

>>My other tank is a 10 gallon at 78 degrees F<< :)

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
Once again, here is one of the three albino tinfoils I bought at Wal-Mart for $2.49 each. Sure they were probably mixed in with the regulars by accident, but why would anyone let that happen if they are so rare??

And I will take my camera to PetSmart on my next trip and get a pic of a whole tank of them.
judy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store