What's the best algea eater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seattle206

lets get blown...
Oct 27, 2004
Seattle, WA
I see small patches of green algea forming on the glass, so I would like to know whats a good fish to clean it up. Would a normal pleco do it? There isnt much algea, so I'm afraid that once it eats all the algea there wont be anything left. If I tried feeding wafers the pacus will eat it before it sinks to the bottom. Any suggestions?

Seattle206

lets get blown...
Oct 27, 2004
Seattle, WA
Thankx.

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
Bristlenoses are excellent algae eaters, just be aware that they are highly territorial. Otocinclus cats are good too, but in a tank your size you would need at least two dozen. Not that there is anything wrong with that, they are a neat little fish. I have a heavily planted 65g with ten of them and I might get a few more.

Keep in mind that no single species of algae eater will eat all the different kinds of algae that may occur in your tank.

Skip the oto's. I just read your tanks inhabitants.

Last edited:

Seattle206

lets get blown...
Oct 27, 2004
Seattle, WA
I might pick up two bristle noses and a common pleco. I know that the common plecos get up to 18inches, but how big do the bristle noses get? 9in?

Archangel

Plecos, Plecos, everywhere
Apr 7, 2004
Oklahoma
www.homestarrunner.com
Common Bristlenoses should max out around 7"s. A common won't really eat alot of algea, but if you just want to get a big pleco to have, I suggest going w/ a Gibbiceps, aka Sailfin Pleco. Maxs out at the same 18", but is a much more majestic looking fish. Looks similiar to a common, but has a more even color pattern and a huge dorsal fin.

My Gibby on the left. His colorings off due to his rapid growth. The real light patches are where the skins stretching. They shouldn't cost much more than commons. I got mine for 4.99

Biotoper

AC Members
Dec 18, 2004
Bristlenose max 6-7", whereas commons max 18-24" but there are many Hypostomus species all sold as common pleco, that probably vary in their rate of growth and maximum size. Either way, you have plenty of room in your tank for any pleco. Common, Snow King, and Sailfin are all cool big plecos, but all 3 as well as the small Bristlenose are pretty territorial among their own species and possibly other similar-looking plecos. I'd add one individual from one of those species and see how your algae's doing.

fishpoor

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
thumb Michigan
Visit site
The common pleco is the best algae eater I've ever had. And with the size lank you're got, finding a home for him later won't be a problem. If your tank is too clean (i.e. algae free) to support him, there's always algae wafers and veggies. He won't stop eating algae because there's other food he could eat. My bristlenose are the dwarf variety and they don't seem to enjoy algae nearly as much as tetramin wafers. A common pleco also generally won't bother other fish, even if they are a small fraction of its size. But just get one and give him a hiding place so he feels secure.

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
IME the best algae eaters in fresh water are plecostimus (I have common and pitbull varities), and common goldfish. The only problems with large plecostimus and carp is that they are prone to nibble if not downright eat your aquatic plants, and they do get VERY large.

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
Commons make very poor algae eaters. They will eat a small amount when they are very young but as they grow bigger their appetite for it goes away. Since the vast majority of fish owners will never have the means to properly care for an adult common, they are better left at the store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store