What's the best salt to use

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcrazy101

AC Members
Oct 11, 2008
Looking for opinions on what is the best salt to use for a reef aquarium?
What supplements to dose and how often?
And What test kits are the most accurate?

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I have always used Tropic Marin Pro and only dose iodine every so often for the inverts.

I use API Reef Test Kit and the augment with Salifert Test Kits for calcium, alk, mag, phosphate, etc"

Rule of thumbe is if you don't test for it don't dose it.

Similar to CHangDriX stated, I tested every day for about the first two weeks and then once a week from then on. That is just what has worked for me.

fishcrazy101

AC Members
Oct 11, 2008
Thank you for all the info, the lfs doesn't have reef crystals-do you order it online? Also what do you use to keep the ph in check or will the reef crystal do that?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I use Reef Crystals and order it online -- I'd never buy it locally, as the LFSs want almost $80 for the same size bucket that's commonly available for $40 or less online.

I've heard of many people having excellent results with Tropic Marin Pro, so I can't say anything bad about it if you went that route.

Supplement use and frequency of dosing will depend on what you stock your tank with. Every tank is different, so the only thing you can do is test regularly and dose based upon the results you see.

fishcrazy101

AC Members
Oct 11, 2008
Tropic marin pro is more expensive but have not found one negative comment about it searching. I always find better deals online because the closest nice fish store is about 1 1/2 hours away other than petco which never seem to have what I am looking for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store