What's the best way to Euthanise a Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
And what about the disease it had. What is it? I think it's fin rot. But could it be some other Fungal/Bacterial disease? I want to know what to use to medicate my tank.

aquatrippe

AC Members
Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
My understanding is the freezing method is only humane with coldwater fishes, like godlfish, that automatically hibernate at a certain temperature. There is, apparantly, some debate as to whether fish feel pain at all. But I think it is better to side on the error of "they do" than they don't. I would use clove oil or possibly the most humane method [which I have never been able to do] is to quickly decapitate the fish. I would not do that unless you really know what you are doing however. You could make a mess of it and create suffering in the animal.

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
I used Listerine(mouth wash), it was an instant kill and I placed the body into the trash.

Never flush.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
357 magnum instant no pain .... sorry i hate that you have to euthanize your fish i
ve heard the clove oil will do it

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
Well he died about an hour and a half ago. Thanks for all your help everyone. But what medication is good for fungal or bacterial diseases? To make sure my other fish don't get sick I'm gonna do some water changes and some meds. Anything I should do?

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
ive used clove oil for a very sick goldfish before, he went to sleep in a few mins, i added a little bit more pre-mixed clove oil and waited until his gills hadnt moved for a few mins, then rather than go the alcohol route i froze him in the clove oil mix over night.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
My understanding is the freezing method is only humane with coldwater fishes, like godlfish, that automatically hibernate at a certain temperature.
More likely the other way round. Tropical fish go unconscious long before the water approaches freezing; some coldwater fish are conscious right down to the point where ice crystals develop in their tissues.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Are any of your other fish showing symptoms? I am not a fan of prophylactic medicating. I would observe and try and determine what hte illness is before adding medication that can be stressful to the surviving fish and could potentially effect your biofilter. Water changes and pristine water quality can only help in the mean time.

RDaneel

AC Members
Nov 26, 2007
Western North Carolina
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store