whats the deal with weather loaches?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryan

Finder, Filleter, and Fryer of Nemo
Aug 20, 2002
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Today i made my bi-monthly browseing trip to the 5 major fish stores on this side of town. maybe it's seasonal, but i saw quite a few fish that i've never seen in my area before. but the only kind i both liked and have tank space for was dojo loaches. So i came home to do my pre-buy research and found out that they are also known as weather loaches. I thought i had heard at one time something about weather loaches changing color with barameteric pressure or something like that.....or maybe im just making it up. Anyways can anyone help me out?

ryan

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Weather loaches, also commonly seen as the dojo loach, are called that because yes, when the barometric pressure drops (I think) they tend to go nuts and shoot about the tank. I've never heard about the color change. They get to about 8", are generally peacefully, like small substrate to bury themselves in, and are somewhat loose schoolers. Fun fish, but I'd say at least a 30 to keep them. The biggest problem with them shooting around is that they're strong and any fish in the way gets knocked around pretty good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store