whats the most beutiful freshwater fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

what is the most beutifull freshwater fish?

• Total voters

cauzen

Give and Take
May 2, 2006
led_zeppelin said:
just curious on your opinions...
My opinion is discus is the most beautiful freshwater fish. It is also expensive and hard to take good care as a pet, I think. But, I'll try to have some, someday.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
Though I love corydoras, rams, darters, and a lot of the other fish mentioned, for sheer non-subtle knock-yer-eyes-out color you can't beat killies!

bivitattums are nice, and there are lots of color varieties-

A. wachtersi is is worth a look...

As are the Nothos, like eggersi:

racovii:

robustus:

and fuscotaeneatus:

"What is the most colorful killie?" would make an interesting thread!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
cauzen said:
My opinion is discus is the most beautiful freshwater fish. It is also expensive and hard to take good care as a pet, I think. But, I'll try to have some, someday.
actually, if you find tank bred discus you will find they are not much more difficult to take care of than many other tropical fish.

they may be slightly more expensive. it's relative..I can pick up some varieties for 4 discus for $50..they are all 2-2.5" juveniles. juvies do need a bit more care as they need to be fed 3-4 X day so that means water changes atleast every other day. I usually feed them..do a partial change when I remove any uneaten food..readding water I remove..the next day after feeding I do a 25% water change//and so on and so on..you don;t have to do this but it is best for optimal growth.

Absinthia

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
London, Ontario
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start with this post. I voted other, I just couldn't pick. Everytime I think I've seen the most beautiful fish, I spot another just as enchanting. Right now I've got a crush on my clown loaches, I love their colour and the way they "play" and sleep reminds me so much of puppies... My tank has lots of (fake) plants and the loaches look extra pretty against the green.

That said...I've seen some breath-taking bettas...and gouramis...and discus...and angels...and corys...and have you seen those blue coral platies?!

:laugh:

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve

I think I'm Biased though :)

cburkhart78

deep-fried channel cat
Oct 29, 2006
Ft Worth, Tx
coupedefleur said:
Though I love corydoras, rams, darters, and a lot of the other fish mentioned, for sheer non-subtle knock-yer-eyes-out color you can't beat killies!

bivitattums are nice, and there are lots of color varieties-

A. wachtersi is is worth a look...

As are the Nothos, like eggersi:

racovii:

robustus:

and fuscotaeneatus:

"What is the most colorful killie?" would make an interesting thread!
The whole time I was redaing this thread I was thinking, where are the killies?NO fw fish has more color!!

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
actually, if you find tank bred discus you will find they are not much more difficult to take care of than many other tropical fish.

they may be slightly more expensive. it's relative..I can pick up some varieties for 4 discus for $50..they are all 2-2.5" juveniles. juvies do need a bit more care as they need to be fed 3-4 X day so that means water changes atleast every other day. I usually feed them..do a partial change when I remove any uneaten food..readding water I remove..the next day after feeding I do a 25% water change//and so on and so on..you don;t have to do this but it is best for optimal growth.
MAn discus seem like a lot of work, why do they need so many water changes. Maybe all fish like water changes but only dicus keepers stick with it? I am thinking about setting up a discus tank with a vegatative fuge to suck up nutrients, do you think I will have to do as many WC's with this setup?? I know I am off topic.

I believe the most beautiful fish are spawning panfish (aka sunfish family) from north america. SOme of these fish are almost all electric blue and red, others are dark red with electric spots.......That is my vote and I am sticking to it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store