What's with the sudden Gourami problems?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CoreyMac

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
Greer, SC
All of a sudden there's numerous posts about problems with Gouramis. What gives?

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
it's weird. sometimes things go in cycles on this forum. Like one time, we had three male bettas all develop bloat. This hadn't been seen before, but all of a sudden we had three in a few days! :huh:

shaunakadub

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
Weird stuff. I just picked up 3 gold gourami a few days ago and 1 of them isn't looking so great.

Although he chows down at dinner time, his tail fin is looking rather thin and he has like a little air-bubble looking thing on his eye. About to go research that now.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
If anyone has a secret to the success with gourmais, please let me know. I really do not have much luck with them and it was the gourmai that lead me to fishkeeping in the first place.

Marinemom

Pheintz

Oh Great Giver Of Food From Above
Sep 9, 2006
Oregon, USA
I was in Petsmart a while back talking to their fish guy about red tailed black sharks before I bought one. They were all looking like grey white tailed sharks. Very pale. He told me that whenever the weather makes a noticeable change the fish seem to get stressed. Made me wonder if it wasn't linked to the barometric pressure dropping or rising quickly.

The one I took home turned black and his tail turned the desired strikingly red color within a few hours, though.

My paradise fish is looking big, burly, and full of attitude today as usual. No gourami-type troubles for me yet.

CoreyMac

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
Greer, SC
I am trying to save some type of gourami. Not sure which kind it is just yet. He's still not looking great. I treated for parasites, just to be sure. The guy (or gal) has a red spot on the outside of each gill. He's thin, has no color to mention, but he eats well now. Hopefully he'll return to normal. I am surprised that he's not deal already, so maybe this one won't drop over in a month.

CHOMPERS

AC Members
Jun 16, 2006
Well, this is a weird post to see considering I recently bought four gourami's and three are now dead. I also bought four fire eels and two are dead. They all came from Walmart. Sfter I made the purchase, Walmart had a major fish kill. I am certian that many of the wild caught fish are being collected using cyanide again. What good is nice looking fish if they are all going to all be dead.

Jadis

AC Members
Jul 24, 2005
portland, OR
they are a really popular fish right now, and when a lot of people get them some of them are bound to have problems.

thats my guess.

reziztor

I'm the man in the box
Oct 20, 2005
Korea
Also, if one person gets a problem with a type of fish and makes a thread and then others google like "my gourami is sick" then this forum pops up.

Anyway, gourami to me are some of the easiest fish to keep if your water is soft and you have floating plants. I've bred Chocolates in a 50 gallon long with water lettuce floating on top and a regular sponge filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store