Whats wrong with my Barb?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bstall

Registered Member
Jan 9, 2003
Visit site
Hi excellent forum. Ive been visiting for about 2 weeks,this is my first post. I am currently cycling a 5.5 gallon with 2 tiger barbs.I ran the tank for 2 days before introducing the barbs.This is day 4 since their introduction and ammonia is just about .5 ppm with no nitrites yet, I keep the temp at 76. One of the barbs keeps floating around on its back but will right itself and swim off if startled. It also keeps getting stuck to the filter intake which is a whisper sized for 5-15. I am only running the filter when i can keep an eye on it, but i leave it off for no more than an hour. There are no visible signs that i can see on the fish to indicate any kind of problems. Gills seem to look okay but seem to be functioning slowly. I just did a 20% water change but did not disturd anything in the tank. Anybody got any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Leave the filter on all the time--this is where you want the bacteria bed to develop. Starving it by turning it off will cause the bed to never develop and stablilize.

A number of things could be going on with the fish. Getting water parameters in order will help--which means water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store