When will my Molly give birth?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TatteredOcean

AC Members
Jan 25, 2017
A few days ago I got a black Molly from petsmart and I put her in my tank with two other female Mollies. I am positive that she is pregnant but I'm not sure how far along. How far along does she look?

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
It is difficult to tell, but you can usually tell when they're within a few days as they stop eating. I think gestation is around a couple of months. But I'm not sure.

TatteredOcean

AC Members
Jan 25, 2017
She's not been eating much and has been hanging around the heater and in the back corner behind some plants. She also has a white bump near her anal fin, you can see it pretty clearly in the picture I've attached.
I plan on getting some hornwort tomorrow so when the fry are born they have somewhere to hide

IMG_0728.JPG

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
The gestation period for black molly's is about 4 weeks, but sometimes they can carry their young a bit longer.
Also, as with many/most live bearers, they often come with a 'payload' and can have multiple broods from a single fertilization.

TatteredOcean

AC Members
Jan 25, 2017
I got her nearly two weeks ago(the second picture was the day I got her) I think she was maybe close to 2 weeks pregnant when I got her. I think her belly is started to get squared off but I'm not sure. This is the most recent picture I have of her it was taken about two days ago.

IMG_0799.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store