When you try to fix one problem only to make more in the process...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
Got a new, actually fitting lid for my 10 gallon quarantine setup. First mistake was not attaching the handle to the EDGE of the glass and instead put it right in the middle like an idiot.
IMG_20210316_154945299.jpg
IMG_20210316_154950120.jpg

Also, because the hinge is right in the middle I constantly bump the hood/light every time I open the lid. A slight inconvenience normally but it's made far worse due how, if even slightly budged, the whole lid shifts backwards which means it goes over this little trickle of overflow water from my shoddy Fluval 70 HOB. If that happens, water flows all over the top of the lid.
IMG_20210316_155004087.jpg

And finally, because of the HOB, there's now a giant gap that the little plastic guard can't fit over which is going to be a major problem whenever I get hatchets, who are infamous for their, shall we say, "suicidal tendencies." And cutting it to fit isn't a solution either as I'd run into the same problem with the overflow trickle.
IMG_20210316_155012150.jpg

So now, what I'm going to have to do is get a sponge filter and have that run for a while, then remove the HOB entirely; which sadly will be a huge waste of a bacterial colony as it won't fit behind my main tank and I'm not in a position to start up another aquarium altogether.

On the bright side though, I was kind of already planning on replacing the filter anyway because once my main tank is fully stocked and I don't have need for a QT anymore, I'm considering sprucing this one up for an eventual betta (the flow of the current filter is far too turbulent for one).

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I feel like it's been running so long that I might be able to make an argument to keep it going. But if I do it'll have to be tweaked even further to a proper setup (substrate, possibly live plants, ect.), we'll see.

Reactions: Wyomingite

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I love Aquaclear (Fluval) 70/300 and all the series, especially the 500/110. I would keep using it as it is hard to find better.
The is a very simple fix that will solve both of your problems, namely 1- the splash that has you annoyed, and 2- the excessive turbulence of the filter in a small tank. Best of all, it is free, and reversible (place it, or remove it).
In photo below (Fluval/Aquaclear 500/110), the cut-up soda bottle baffle. I challenge anyone to put a big Fluval 110 (with baffle) in a 10 gallon tank (yes, 10 gallon!), or in a smallish tank, and be successful with delicate plants or fish. . No problem of excessive turbulence! (I do not recommend the 110 in the 10 gal, that is just for kicks).
I did not invent this, somebody did years ago and shared it. I have been using it for years, in various 'local modifications' for specific purposes. By changing the width of the baffle, different flow patterns can be achieved. By covering one end of the 'roll', unidirectional (lateral) flow can be achieved. A marvel of ingenuity!

IMG_0734.jpg

Reactions: dudley

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I love Aquaclear (Fluval) 70/300 and all the series, especially the 500/110. I would keep using it as it is hard to find better.
The is a very simple fix that will solve both of your problems, namely 1- the splash that has you annoyed, and 2- the excessive turbulence of the filter in a small tank. Best of all, it is free, and reversible (place it, or remove it).
In photo below (Fluval/Aquaclear 500/110), the cut-up soda bottle baffle. I challenge anyone to put a big Fluval 110 (with baffle) in a 10 gallon tank (yes, 10 gallon!), or in a smallish tank, and be successful with delicate plants or fish. . No problem of excessive turbulence! (I do not recommend the 110 in the 10 gal, that is just for kicks).
I did not invent this, somebody did years ago and shared it. I have been using it for years, in various 'local modifications' for specific purposes. By changing the width of the baffle, different flow patterns can be achieved. By covering one end of the 'roll', unidirectional (lateral) flow can be achieved. A marvel of ingenuity!

View attachment 229373
First I've ever heard of this sort of thing. Will definitely look into it further as just a simple, free modification would definitely be preferable.

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
Oh boy...

So, I did the baffle thing and it seemed to be working to a decent degree. Took a water bottle and cut it to size so it wraps around the outflow and the current wasn't as turbulent but still a little pushy. So instead I took that out and wedged an empty cartridge bag and it not only fit much better and reduced the flow to almost nothing, but I feel a lot safer with it in lieu of the dangerously sharp plastic of the bottle.
IMG_20210317_181916509.jpg

But then I ran into yet more issues. The lid handle? I put it on the wrong side. Which was part of why it wasn't opening so well because it was on the wrong side of the hinge. So I carefully wiggled it off which of course ruined the sticky pad it came with so I put a little gorilla super glue gel on it and put it on the proper side on the edge of the lid. And lost a bit of skin on my thumb from touching the still-drying glue in the process (yikes this stuff is scary). Then I cut the plastic guard to fit over the gap instead of awkwardly hanging halfway and shoved all the equipment to one side so there's only the smallest slit possible.
IMG_20210317_173656297.jpg
IMG_20210317_173702634.jpg

However, the overflow from the intake side of the filter is still very much a problem, and it's uncomfortably close to the glass lid (it's hard to tell from this perspective but the main outlet exits below the glass, but the spillage trickle is just slightly above it). The tiniest amount of increase in flow pressure and it's going right over the glass and eventually onto the counter/floor. And I can't adjust the intake flow any further, the tube's already shoved to the lowest setting.
IMG_20210317_173714830.jpg

My best guesses as to addressing the issue is to add a pre-filter intake sponge cover to hopefully further reduce flow rate, and possibly remove some of the filter media to see if that releases pressure as it's currently stuffed all the way to the brim.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My old AC filters have an intake that can be shifted to the right to slow the flow. Facing the tank front, intake to the left= full flow. Have you tried that?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Which model AC filter is that? Are you able to slide the filter body away from the tank as far as possible so the lip is closer to the rear of the tank? I've used thin foam strips or cardboard to accomplish this easily.

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
My old AC filters have an intake that can be shifted to the right to slow the flow. Facing the tank front, intake to the left= full flow. Have you tried that?
Yes, the intake tube is pushed all the way to the side so intake flow is as low as it can get.
Which model AC filter is that? Are you able to slide the filter body away from the tank as far as possible so the lip is closer to the rear of the tank? I've used thin foam strips or cardboard to accomplish this easily.
It's a Fluval 70. The body is hung snug against the side, no way it can be backed up any further.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good 1 dee! I forgot if the filter isn't slightly angled toward the tank water can go "other places" than back in the tank. Legos work I think, you want 1/4 inch or so. There is/was a flimsy plastic piece along the outer bottom that can be twirled to change the amount of space...it's easy to lose or break them.

I hated our first AC. It was on a very low tank & we didn't realise quite a bit of water was going off the backside & soaking the carpet. That, & they don't often self prime after a power outage. But now that I know their quirks, I love them best of all HOBs I've tried...But an AC 70 does seem like overkill on a 10g or 20 long...

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store