When you try to fix one problem only to make more in the process...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I do have other, smaller HOBs I could've used, but considering the volume of fish I've been quarantining at a time (entire schools of tetras for example), the overkill was necessary.

Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's not really the volume of the filter but the amount of beneficial bacteria area, in the tank & in the filter. It's probably is just me, but I prefer HOBs (sponge on intake) to sponge filters most times except for tiny fry...they don't like too much flow...Juvenile fish or adults "should be" OK with an HOB in IME...
Can you cram the cycled filter media in smaller filter? That would get rid of the flow over the glass issue...

& you could put the AC 70 on the 125g as a secondary or 3rd filter...just some thoughts...

Reactions: dougall

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
& you could put the AC 70 on the 125g as a secondary or 3rd filter...just some thoughts...
Already tried some time ago. There's not enough room between the tank and the wall for it, or any of my larger HOBs for that matter, to fit behind. And it should go without saying that there's no moving a filled tank of that size even so much as an inch.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I hear you! Move a tank an inch or move it to a different room, almost the same thing. I allowed enough room on my 120g long from my experience...I have yet to see if that's really enough...

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
Well, today's been a mess. I was transferring what was in the QT to the main system and noticed the temperature was a few degrees lower than normal, at which point I noticed the heater malfunctioned and was full of water. So I had to get a new one plus a digital thermometer because I was tired of dealing with the dinky little mercury one.

And in my infinite wisdom I got new fish at the same time because they were ones I had been trying to find for a while (to be revealed in another thread) so it was a scramble to not only fit in the new heater, but also water change, fix the lid again because the handle fell off, plus refit the plastic guard due to things being moved around. Sigh...

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Got a new, actually fitting lid for my 10 gallon quarantine setup. First mistake was not attaching the handle to the EDGE of the glass and instead put it right in the middle like an idiot.
IMG_20210316_154945299.jpg
IMG_20210316_154950120.jpg

Also, because the hinge is right in the middle I constantly bump the hood/light every time I open the lid. A slight inconvenience normally but it's made far worse due how, if even slightly budged, the whole lid shifts backwards which means it goes over this little trickle of overflow water from my shoddy Fluval 70 HOB. If that happens, water flows all over the top of the lid.
IMG_20210316_155004087.jpg

And finally, because of the HOB, there's now a giant gap that the little plastic guard can't fit over which is going to be a major problem whenever I get hatchets, who are infamous for their, shall we say, "suicidal tendencies." And cutting it to fit isn't a solution either as I'd run into the same problem with the overflow trickle.
IMG_20210316_155012150.jpg

So now, what I'm going to have to do is get a sponge filter and have that run for a while, then remove the HOB entirely; which sadly will be a huge waste of a bacterial colony as it won't fit behind my main tank and I'm not in a position to start up another aquarium altogether.

On the bright side though, I was kind of already planning on replacing the filter anyway because once my main tank is fully stocked and I don't have need for a QT anymore, I'm considering sprucing this one up for an eventual betta (the flow of the current filter is far too turbulent for one).
I use duck tape for gaps when I’m worried about jumpers. I have a red wolf fish and it seems like if light can escape through it, so can he. Duck tape solved it.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Well, today's been a mess. I was transferring what was in the QT to the main system and noticed the temperature was a few degrees lower than normal, at which point I noticed the heater malfunctioned and was full of water. So I had to get a new one plus a digital thermometer because I was tired of dealing with the dinky little mercury one.

And in my infinite wisdom I got new fish at the same time because they were ones I had been trying to find for a while (to be revealed in another thread) so it was a scramble to not only fit in the new heater, but also water change, fix the lid again because the handle fell off, plus refit the plastic guard due to things being moved around. Sigh...
Don’t worry, we all have days like this. One time I bought a new set up and was rushing to get it done before I went to work and when I was done, I realized the stand was upside down. Talk about a brain fart

• Haha

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I use duck tape for gaps when I’m worried about jumpers. I have a red wolf fish and it seems like if light can escape through it, so can he. Duck tape solved it.
TAPE! That's the answer I was looking for! Just give me a couple minutes here...

There, now there's absolutely nowhere for the new hatchets to commit leaps of death from. ?
IMG_20210318_213315351.jpg

Reactions: FishAddict74

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
So the new fish went straight into your established community tank? That’s is a gamble. Hopefully will go ok.

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
So the new fish went straight into your established community tank? That’s is a gamble. Hopefully will go ok.
No they're in the quarantine tank (I transferred fish that have already gone through the process then went to the store the same day to get the next batch). It was just a hassle doing all the adjustments in a timely manner due to the previous heater going out literally this same day. The main 125 system has already been prepared for any escape attempts a long time ago (covered the back gaps with cheesecloth and taped them down).

The reversed tape barrier I did here was a last minute fix for the quarantine setup.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store