where do you get sand for substrate for aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cekmgreen

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
yea thats what i am thinking my lfs has alot of stuff but they lack in the substrate and lighting department so i think i will try a local pool store maybe.... but now i think of it i had a buddy with a 60g tank with sand not sure what kind maybe playsand but everything i walked by it i got a whiff of dirty socks or old gym clothes lol!!

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
I have used beach sand from lake michigan for like 5 tanks now. I wash it a little because it has some sticks in it. But I make sure to use cool water. I feel like it reduces the time it takes for my tanks to cycle. But either way even if you feel the need to cook it in the oven, it seems like less work that washing the play sand.

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
Dont get play sand. I have gone the play sand route. I didnt like it. I washed a 50lb bag(the whole rinse and repeat) for a few hours. Then its weeks of waiting for everything to settle down. Then its weeks of waiting when you disturb it to put plants in. I have always heard pool sand is the way to go but never experienced it. I can say that I would not suggest someone try play sand as a substrate. To each his own though.

cekmgreen

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
ok well sounds like the pool sand is going to be it.... but how thick is safe or is there a limit i heard of pockets what if every couple weeks you punch around in it with your fingers or somthing or is tht really a problem. i want 3inches if thats to much let me know please before i mess somthing up!!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Pool filter sand for sure, playsand is usually filthy i'd hate to have to wash enough for a 150g.

Yes gas pockets can form in the sand, IMO the easiest way to deal with that is with malaysian trumpet snails they'll burrow into the substrate.

JoeeStacks

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Pacifica, CA
Real Name
Joey Nguyen
play sand..comes in dark gray to tan.

5$ for 50 lbs.

get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it about 1/4-1/2 full ..turn the hose on full blast..fill bucket with water ..dump out water, stir the sand up with the running water..dump fill stir..repeat until water runs clear ( 10-15 mins)
+1 on that. But I cleaned my play sand by shoving the hose full blast into the 5 gal bucket and letting it run. Its okay if it overflows. But every now and then just stir it around. Probably every minute. If there is a lot of dirt/dust/w.e. floating around just dump the water and repeat. When you want to clean the sand, clean a little at a time. Maybe half a bag at a time.

cekmgreen

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
so the snails thats kind of cool i am thinking of doing a dozen tallapoosa shiners and thats it but i like snails they are a cool creature and that will cure the pocketing issue how many do you get tho??

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

cekmgreen

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
so im set on the pool filter sand now that i understand it give me some more input on the pockets and the snails im very intrested now lol

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Do yourself a favor and DON'T get play sand. Go to your local pool store and buy pool FILTER sand.

P.S.: I use pool filter and and never noticed this so called smell you heard about it.
I use pool filter sand too, I got 3 bags for my 125 and I've loved it. It looks great, the fish love it, and it cost me 15 bucks to fill the tank with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store