Where to buy Electic Yellows - specifically 1M, 3F?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up some Labidochromis caeruleus for my newly cycled 55g (with lots of caves :D ).

Based on rec's, I'm shooting for 1 male and 3 females, but have no idea how the sex them myself at the LFS. (btw, if you have suggestions on combinations other than 1M, 3F, feel free to share!) I was hoping to order some online, but I will have to email/call to ask if I can buy the exact combo I want, or if they;d just ship me any 4 yellow labs, disregarding what I want.

Do you have any suggestions where I can specifically order 1 M and 3 F? I have a few sites bookmarked, such as liveaquaria, bluegrass cichlids, etc...but can't seem to access them from work.

many thanks!!

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
Usually they have a sheet faxed or emailed to them of what is available before they complete their purchase so just ask to see the list, thats what I do.

wobble

AC Members
May 3, 2005
Yellow labs are extremely difficult to sex, even when adult size. The labs will get along with each other just fine. I wouldn't worry about the M/F ratio too much.

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Cool, thanks guys, will do. I'll hit them up this weekend and find out. Although, they usually end up putting all the small african's in a single tank, $X.99 each...but I hope they can special order some for me.

If not, please let me know if there are specific sites/breeders to check with.

Thanks!

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
Yellow labs may not have sexes listed on the order since they are so hard to sex especially as juveniles. You may just have to do what everyone else does, buy more than you need then see which ones group with the female(if any) and take the other ones back or trade them for more peacocks ;)

This is assuming you want to breed them. If you are trying to get the ratio correct to reduce aggression its not really needed IMO. Im reducing aggression between species by *almost* overpopulating.

Last edited:

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
If you want to know for sure, vent them. At your lfs, when your picking them out ask them to net the one you like, then, make sure they don't mind you doing so, get your hands wet and turn over the fish while it is still in the net to see its "vents". There will be too holes, if it is a female they will look like this O o, one large and one small just like any animal or human. And the males will look like this o o. This is the best way to make sure you get what you want.
WARNING: make sure your hands are wet when you handle the fish, or ask the lfs person to do it for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store