Where to order healthy plants in Canada

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lukara

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Visit site
Hi. I've been looking around my area for pet/fish stores selling a good variety of healthy plants. My luck so far hasn't been very good. I'm considering ordering online. Can anybody make any recommendations where I can order healthy plants in Canada?

Thanks in advance.

Lukara

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I don't have a specific list of what I'm looking for at this time, but I will make one out.

Basically, I went looking around at several shops and was sorely dissapointed with the conditions that the plants were kept in. One of the shops had somekind of tiny swimming bugs (I think) in their plant tanks. Totally turned me off. The others that I saw in other stores were withering and/or started getting algae, and one shop also had fish in with their plants that were for sale which I'm not too hot about at a petshop.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I'm from Quebec. Do you have any suggestions for good sources in that area?

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
Here's something I found by accident:

http://www.ottawaaquatics.com/

I've never ordered from them, so don't take this as a recommendation. If you do try them out, let me know how it went.

As for finding local plants - try looking in the small stores. Don't bother with Super Pet or anything like that. I once saw a Tropica potted C. wendtii for about $25 at a big chain store. Big Al's can be allright, depending on the day and the location. I found a small non-chain fish store in my area. I mean really small, like only 2 isles, specializing in marines. They had an awesome plant selection, kept up really well, and the guy even offered to order for me any plant I wanted, even though it was my first time there. I'd really like to support them, but there's only so many times you can buy plants for a 10-gal (if you actually try to keep them alive, of course). So, my point was, look in the small local store.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I would definately check out the fish clubs in your area. I believe one of the fish stores I frequent here in Edmonton, gets his Anubias plants from a place somewhere in Quebec. A fish club in your area would probably know.

-Richer

Lukara

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I found a message board with people who are actually from my area and I got some recommendations. I will be checking out the places in the coming days.

GDominy

Bottom feeders Rule
Originally posted by Lukara
Thanks for your reply. I don't have a specific list of what I'm looking for at this time, but I will make one out.

Basically, I went looking around at several shops and was sorely dissapointed with the conditions that the plants were kept in. One of the shops had somekind of tiny swimming bugs (I think) in their plant tanks. Totally turned me off. The others that I saw in other stores were withering and/or started getting algae, and one shop also had fish in with their plants that were for sale which I'm not too hot about at a petshop.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I'm from Quebec. Do you have any suggestions for good sources in that area?
I have ordered from them, and I recomend them highly. I had plants shipped to me within 2 days of my order being placed. They arrived on Vancouver Island in great shape.

When I had placed my order there were a few plants that were not available so the company contacted me to ask about substitutions. I was very impressed by their customer service.

To top it all off, they actually CALLED me after I recieved my order to make sure that everything was satisfactory.

I was very impressed, and would recomend this company to anyone (P.S. If you call them, mention I sent you)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store