Where to place my corals?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I'm still learning this whole coral thingy and had a couple of questions. After reading some info, I learned that my long tentacled plate coral should be kept on the sand bed rather than on a rock. Indeed, once I did this the coral seemed to double in size; not that it grew but it seemed to extend itself more. I also have a tongue coral but that was obviously meant to sit in the sand.

Where I'm confused now is with my Frogspawn and Toadstool corals. Both are mounted on small rocks and seem to be doing fine wedged into gaps within the live rock (to keep them from tipping). So I guess my question is are these guys supposed to be up on the rocks or would they do better with their bases buried in the sand?

Thanks in advance.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
On the rocks is fine for leathers and frogspawn corals, depending on the lighting over your tank. I've had both grow fine down on the bottom, too, although that was with the leathers already attach at the base to a rock. Leathers tend to attach to any rock their base and stalk touch.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
Is either position preferred for them? Sand or among the rock, I mean. THey are both attached to small rocks.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I haven't found that either has a preference in my tanks. I now keep them up on the rocks out of my personal preference.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
Ok, that sounds like a plan. I had them on the rocks mostly so that they would be closer to the light so I guess I'll keep them there.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I usually shoot to place sessile animals where they would be found in the wild. Most of the Euphyllia won't be found in sand, though they are found in a lot of diverse habitats.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
My frogspawn is place on the rock mid to low in the tank under T5HOs. It seems more picky about the flow it gets than anything else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store