Where'd you get your dog from.....breeder or pound?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
She also looks very intelligent.. Great 'find' for you. Not many people have the chance to share their life with such an animal.
ah yes, she is and yes, I do feel very fortunate to have this chance to spend this part of my life with such a magnificent animal.

Diann62

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Well we picked him! He's a 1 1/2 yr. old Great Pyranese/Lab. Fantastic dog! He got hit by a car earlier this year and the owner did not treat it, so his left hip is dislocated. He limps but doesn't seem to cause him pain. I'm taking him to an orthopedic surgeon to see if we can fix this. If not treated, he'll run into problems down the line. He's also very thin, but he's eating everything in sight so he'll fatten up in no time. His name is Sammie and he's so freakin cute. He's had 3 owners, been in a foster family, been in a shelter and stayed 2 weeks at a vet. He is here to stay, but I have no idea why someone would give him back. He has no aggression and he's the most loveable dog you could every want. He doesn't chew stuff......the only thing is he sleeps on the couch. None of our dogs have ever slept on the couch. We have a nice big fluffy bed for him and he goes there, but prefers the couch. He's there right now and I've taken him off 8 times already this morning, but he looks so adorable that I'm leaving him. I personally don't care but I know hubby will. I know I need to be consistent with him so this'll be the last time up there...:)

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
I tried to adopt a dog from a rescue centre but they would not let me as my youngest child was under 5 at the time and they do not let you adopt any pet cat or dog if you have young children. So rather then waiting 3 years we got her privately not from a breeder but from a farmer who's dog had got pregnant he picked the most suitable ones out to be gun dogs and we got Meg (a very bouncy Springer Spaniel) to have as a pet and she is great.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
Why are you all breeding dogs? I just don't get it. . . . is there really money in dogs? Is it worth it? When there are so many good quality mixed and purebred dogs available for free or for small adoption fees that are going to be put down every day, why make more? Do you all know where your puppies are now? Do you have arrangements made to take your dogs back if the buyers can no longer keep them? Loving dogs = making less of them.

I breed dogs, and yes. I have all of those things plus more in place. each dog left with a contract. Each dog visits me, and I visit them to make sure their home is stable and proper.

I can tell you, that only three dogs were ever switched. one, ran away, and when i went to check on it, the owners just didn't seem to care. he was re homed with a new family, with a new breeders contract, and is absolutely happy.

The next, was returned because the owners husband died, and she couldn't handle 3 dogs. That dog now lives with a disabled man who adores her. she also went with a new contract.

The last was just recent. The owner needed to move and straighten his life out after a split with his fiance, The dog came back here for 6 months, and was returned a week ago. His owner called every other day to check on him. I have never seen a dog happier to see his family. I was glad to be able to hold onto him, so he could go home again.

The issue is, even if every owner brought back their dogs, I would take them. Although, you'd be hard pressed to find an owner in my ( current) group who would ever return their dog.

I also rescued my male, and female. I No longer breed. I can honestly tell you I never made a cent from my dogs. They all left with their shots, at the new owners cost. They all were also contracted to be fixed,( or limited number of litters, no more than two, 3 years apart.) non docked, and several other things.

I also rescued my cats, and have rescued snakes, birds and many other animals. ( including fish) lol.

Breeding is not always about the money.

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
I went to get a dog from a shelter once and the price for adoption was way too much I thought. A quick search in the local paper showed a bunch of free dogs. And they cost about half to get the proper neuter/spade and general Vet care than the adoption placed charged. I prefer mutts to anything; since each litter is different the variety is much better IMO. Plus, with my experience the mutts generally lived longer and were healthier than purebred dogs were. They tended not to have the common problems associated with each specific breed.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
All of my dogs and cats have been either pound, rescue, or foundling. One was even an expensive, registered Tibetan Terrier the owners were going to place in just the right home or put down (circumstances). I was the lucky one!

My cats were feral, 10 now and very laid back. My 2 dogs are AmStaff mix rescues from the same couple, and the previous (died from a stroke, almost killed me) was an AmStaffie mix rescue, too.
Rescued critters have often known abuse (mine bear the scars), and when they find a loving home it's not that they are "grateful," but are enjoying life to the fullest with us.

Yes, it may seem less expensive to get a cheaper or free dog or cat out of the classifieds, but A) not all things free are really free (my best friend was given an 18 yo mare a year ago and has since spent almost $2,000 in med bills--way way more than I've spent on my 3 in the past 10 years, and B) owners will say anything to get rid of the four-legged, whereas rescues and shelters often have waiting periods and extensive forms, even home visits, to ensure the critter will have a great, loving and caring home.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
he just showed up one day...
I dont know where he came from...

hey wait... I dont even have a dog!!
LOL Zigman, too funny! But you never know when one will show up---my dad The Colonel, a real hard tail fighter pilot, moved up here to the middle of nowhere when he and my mom split up. There he was, all of a sudden in the middle of his 40 acres, realizing how unimportant he really was, and this little rat terrier showed up out of thin air. She is obnoxious, runs deer all night if she gets off her leash, barks constantly if she's not by his side, but he DOTES on her. It is the most bizarre yet heartwarming thing I've ever seen. Dunno what to do when she leaves this world--he'll just suck it up and move on!!!
But, he has had 2 more show up, and he'll tend to them. Not house dogs, though.

Pogiebate

AC Members
Aug 11, 2007
I got my first dog from someone who was taking the litter to the pound.
That would be Wilma...About 10 yrs old

My second dog I got from a friend a rotten JRT.
His name is Travis. He is about 3

Then there is Muttly Mutt Man. I found him on the side of the road as a tiny puppy. He didn't stay tiny!
Muttly is about 1 1/2 now.

Oh and all my dogs are indoor doggies :)

Woofy

Registered crazy
Jun 30, 2006
Miami
www.myspace.com
my three min pins are from breeders, and my 60lbs puppy is a rescue. Who knew that 4month old 30lbs puppy was going to weigh 60lbs a month later and still growing. Hes such a lug. I do have to agree with the above poster, im a breeder too and all of our litter is going to family members, if not i wouldnt have bred my dog. I dont see the point in breeding for profit i only bred so my dogs persnality and temperment which i think is unique and perfect for the breed would be carried on to his son which i am keeping and his daughter which the female's owner is keeping and the other 3 are going to our family. Dont assume all breeders are irresposnsible , some of us do have contacts and very strict guidelines for the puppies that are backed legally and all signed before a lawyer. I rather let my famiy keep a puppy for free than try to make profit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store