Where's a good place to buy goldfish online?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Where do you usually buy your goldies?

• Local mom and pop store

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Big name pet stores like Petco and Petsmart

Votes: 4 44.4%

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • local breeders, etc.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
There's another one I like, too...but he's kinda big already.....hm, decisions. I think they're adorable!!
You know what, my little Tater is my smallest guy in my tank- she's about 1 1/2- 2" long or so, and has grown about an half inch since coming home, and chunked out nicely, as well... and she's in a tank with my Lloyd, who is about 4" long, not including his tail, and my Nell, who is also bigger (probably 3", without tail, but she is a much deeper bodied fish with a big, round belly- not so much length) and can be VERY pushy at feeding time. Both of them can be pushy when it comes to food, but they tend to mostly push each other around, or some of the larger fish, and it never really gets too heated. My littler guys are doing just fine, and eating well, even my little Pickles- a calico telescope eye who is just a little longer than Tater, a slimmer body, and blind as a bat. My tank very well might be the exception to the rule, but, from my limited experience, I haven't had an issue with that.

[/QUOTE] Well, if the 2 breed, you could sell the fry once they're grown (assuming you get a male and a female)...tell him you have a chance to make money off them, he'll probably come around. Men. :p[/QUOTE]

I'd be way too nice if I bred fish to make any $ from it. LOL. I'd buy 2 for $100- $150 each, and sell any babies for like $20- $25. Might not stop me from doing it, though! LOL. If I get 2 of those, I will definitely be aiming for a male and a female... but, it wouldn't be for at least a year. My goldfish tank is overstocked for adult sized fish (which all of them but Lloyd are FAR from), and I am getting them a larger tank in December- then maybe the following year I could get a pair of the Shukins to go in the 45 gallon tank after doing some tank switching, but, I don't even know how to sex them at this point (besides boys get breeding tubercles), so, I wouldn't know how to find a girl (maybe I could ask them at Rain Garden which are girls & then pick from there?). This one would definitely be in the "future plans" category (but, yes, you could have one of my babies for $25, if I do it. LOL). They're just so stinking CUTE! Hehe.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I always liked the mom & pop stores. They will order for you anything they don't have in stock and if there is a problem with a fish. They are always glad to honor returns. I have a couple by my house, further than Petsmart or Petco, but well worth the trip.

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
I know Lydia is a girl because of her belly (It's big and round right now) and I found her vent. Girls have outward facing vents and boys have inward ones. They're the opposite of us. Maybe try checking rain garden's upside down tail pictures for vents? I guess I haven't looked. But I'm sure steve could probably sex it for you if there's a special one in mind.

And I will definitely take one! :D

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
I know Lydia is a girl because of her belly (It's big and round right now) and I found her vent. Girls have outward facing vents and boys have inward ones. They're the opposite of us. Maybe try checking rain garden's upside down tail pictures for vents? I guess I haven't looked. But I'm sure steve could probably sex it for you if there's a special one in mind.

And I will definitely take one! :D
Ok, now I'm going to have to go do a "vent check" on all of my fish. My largest one, Lloyd, had breeding tubercles for about a week this yr, as did another of my larger ones (the lemon head fantail), Harry. (Harry Dunn and Lloyd Christmas) Nell, I am guessing is a girl, because 4 of the other fish tried to spawn with her in their practice spawning games they did for a bit at the beginning of April after water changes (poor girl). Tater was also the object of what looked like spawning games from a couple of my smaller fantails, as was my ryukin, Murray (who is keeping a boy's name- just because I like it)... and so far, that has been about the only way I have been able to guess... who was chasing, and who was being chased. Now, I will have to flip them over & have a look! I think I'll save that for when I am home without the hubby. I can hear it now "honey, what are you doing?"- "ummm- I'm checking my fishes' junk..."- "ok... why?"- "uhh, because I want to know which ones are boys and which ones are girls..."- "oooooookkkkkkkkaaaaayyyy..." LOL. Fun times!

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Wendy, I checked my local mom and pop that I mentioned above...for the most part, I wasn't impressed....the reviews online were RAVING, but there wasn't much stock for non-fish items. I know they're out of goldies, until their shipment comes tuesday, so maybe more filters and such are coming then too. They did have two goldies there....one was a pretty white one happy as can be and a BEAUTIFUL young black moor covered in ich and half-dead. I told the owner it was bottom-sitting and covered in white spots and barely breathing, and she said she would move him to the back in a dismissive manner, and still hadn't done anything in the half hour after that when we left the store. So I'm not sure about it yet....it's the only place in town to actually carry a variety of goldies, so I don't want to write them off over one sick fish out of hundreds...but so sad to see a fish treated like that....

Bahahahaha! I can just see it!

You don't necessarily have to flip them over....Lydia's I can see when she's turned at a certain angle, but that would depend on the breed and where their fins are and everything. Hers is easy to see because it's white-ish against her brown-black color. Ratchet isn't mature yet, so I can't tell. He has no outward sex signs. In fact, Lydia almost has a spawning chase she does TO Ratchet, but I think she's just playing. All I know is she likes to nuzzle his butt, lol.

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks David (love your avatar by the way)! Do you have pictures of the individuals you are getting, or do you only know that you're getting (for example) a 5 cm oranda?

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Well I would love one...but my boyfriend just gave me a no-way-am-I-spending-over-$100-on-a-goldfish! look. Sigh. :(

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store