White Cloud Mountain Minnow, the Perfect fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CoryWM

AC Members
Nov 11, 2008
www.tankgeek.com
I wrote an article on this amazing fish. I use it in many setups. I start off many novice hobbyists with this fish also. Anyone keep large schools of White Clouds? I myself am gonna setup a planted tank purely for them soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
You are right, they are a much under-rated fish. Most beginners with the trusty 10gal tank would be much better off with a handful of White Clouds (and a clump of Java moss), rather than trying to start out with goldfish or some more delicate tropical.

Ian

Alwaysusa

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
I have a 56 gallon tall (30 x 24 x 18), reasonably well planted - with 6 albino tiger barbs

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
I have a 56 gallon tall (30 x 24 x 18), reasonably well planted - with 6 albino tiger barbs
Yeah, that sort of setup.

Although White Clouds are considered coldwater, they are also happy with temps up to 25C, and tiger barbs are OK down to around 20C, so there is plenty of overlap there. The WCMs are fast and short finned, so the tigers should not worry them.

Ian

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I love them also. Unfortunately most stores in my area don't carry them.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I've been wanting to get them for a while now. Once the guppies in my cray tank dwindle out a bit more then I plan to get a decent school going.

CoryWM

AC Members
Nov 11, 2008
www.tankgeek.com
Just curious where you live that you regularly see them 5 for $1. Cheapest I've ever seen them at a fish shop (or petstore) is about $1 a piece, but usually closer to the $2 - $3 range.
West coast. WA state. Now adults even here can be 1-$3 each. But even the local petsmart sells then for $1.19 for an adult. At the LFS I work at we have 1/2 inch feeders for 4 for $1, 1 inch WC at 99 cents each and full grown adults at $1.99 each.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store