white cloud

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

robertob

AC Members
Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
Thanks Wetman

The guy at the fish store called these fish "White Cloud Tetras" and had a sign labeled as such. Oh well!:( I thought they were related to Danios instead. Thanks again.:cool:

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
in scotland they are called white cloud mountain minnows. Im not sure of their taxonomy, although I have read that the 'tan' at the begining of their scientific comes from the name of the Chinese boy who is reputed to have discovered the fish in the white cloud mountains of china.

Theres a bizzare fact!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I'd never heard them called anything other than White Clouds, or WCMMs as Roland mentioned...I'm not surprised that they're mislabeled as tetras, though...their playful nature would seem to be like those of Neons.

Pam Lowrey

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
Springfield, IL
Visit site
I've read the same thing Roland said in a couple different books; that they are minnows, originated in the White Cloud Mountains of China & that story about the boy Tan.

:)

Last edited:

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
yeah, the story i read in a book about Tan and his escpades up the white cloud mountain was really long and winded... not much information about there requiements, but interesting though!

Im a big fan of the WCMM, but I think the reason it has differing common names is because it's such a 'hardy' fish, that it's actual requirements are often overlooked... and therefore it is labled as anything.

I know that sounds cynical, but I reacon its true. Long live the WCMM!

;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store