White Faced tang doing very well in QT.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
that tang looks very much like a powder brown tang to me.....its maybe just the photo but ive never heard of a white faced tang before.....well done for nursing it back to health...dont think i could part with such a beautiful fish after going to all the effort of saving him.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Yeah, the White Face Tang(Acanturus Japonicus) is commonly mis-named as a Powder Brown(Acanthurus Glaucopareius)nigricans.

The Powder Brown (A. glaucopareius)nigricans has no orange/red on the dorsal fin and there is just a white mark under the eye.

The White Face (A. Japonicus) Has orange/red on the dorsal fin and the white under the eye is much larger and extends to the mouth.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GoldRimSs.htm

that tang looks very much like a powder brown tang to me.....its maybe just the photo but ive never heard of a white faced tang before.....well done for nursing it back to health...dont think i could part with such a beautiful fish after going to all the effort of saving him.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Wonderful job schigara, congrats on making a successful save. I'd take pictures back to the store and say "see this is what a healthy fish is supposed to look like... " :lipssealedsmilie:

I hope you can find a home for him as he is a wonderful looking fish.. If you lived closer I know somone around here that would snap him up for his large tank in a heart beat..

Again good job..

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Thanks Clown,

That's a good idea on the pics idea but might not go over real well with the guy at the store. hehe!

I already have a few takers for the fish for what I paid for him.

This one Petco is always getting in the Powder Blues, Regals and White Faces and they almost always have ich visible. It's very satisfying saving these beautiful fish that would most likely die otherwise without QT. I plan to keep the 29g and the 10g going to try and save as many of these easily susceptible tangs as I can. Won't be any trouble selling a well fed an ich free Tang to the local club members for cost.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Thanks Clown,

That's a good idea on the pics idea but might not go over real well with the guy at the store. hehe!

I already have a few takers for the fish for what I paid for him.

This one Petco is always getting in the Powder Blues, Regals and White Faces and they almost always have ich visible. It's very satisfying saving these beautiful fish that would most likely die otherwise without QT. I plan to keep the 29g and the 10g going to try and save as many of these easily susceptible tangs as I can. Won't be any trouble selling a well fed an ich free Tang to the local club members for cost.
Definitely a great save. And I can see why you would get a decent number of takers on the tang. Not just because he is a beauty, but because they know the source. I wouldn't have any problem buying a fish from a fellow reefer that QT and actually understood the needs of the fish they have. I would actually prefer it. Sadly the only reason fish are usually available from reefers in my area is because the fish isn't reef safe. That might work in my favor later.

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
pity i'm on the other side of the atlantic or he could have joined my powder blue,orange shoulder and yellow tangs......he's a beaut!...hope it gets the home it deserves :)

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, the White Face Tang(Acanturus Japonicus) is commonly mis-named as a Powder Brown(Acanthurus Glaucopareius)nigricans.

The Powder Brown (A. glaucopareius)nigricans has no orange/red on the dorsal fin and there is just a white mark under the eye.

The White Face (A. Japonicus) Has orange/red on the dorsal fin and the white under the eye is much larger and extends to the mouth.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GoldRimSs.htm

Hmm are you sure about that? My understanding is that the A. japopnicus is the Powder Brown and the A. nigricans is the Whitecheek.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
"Acanthurus japonicus (Fowler 1946), the Japanese or White-Faced Surgeonfish; is also sold as a/the Gold-Rimmed or Powder-Brown Surgeon, confusing it with A. glaucopareius (nigricans) (see below). To further confuse matters, this fish is also sold as the Whitecheek Surgeon/Tang in the aquarium trade...A. japonicus has a much larger white eye patch. Ranges from the Philippines to Japan and is relatively hardy."

The A. Nigricans common names are Powder Brown and White Cheek

The A. Japonicus common names are White Faced Surgeon and Japanese Surgeon

Hmm are you sure about that? My understanding is that the A. japopnicus is the Powder Brown and the A. nigricans is the Whitecheek.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store