White Fuzz on Cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Josephk

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
have a couple Sterbai Cory's that have this white fuzz on them. I do around 30% water changes every week and the tank has been established since January. Ammonia nitrate and nitrite all at 0. I had one other get it about 2 months ago I was able to remove him from the tank and treated for fungal. No other fish have gotten it till now but that one didn't survive. My quarantine is currently full. The only thing I can think off or have read is the larger gravel could be causing issues with their barrbels leading to problems. Can anyone help identify what this is and a possible reason / cure. Started treating with Api pima&melafix 20200429_185749.jpgThank you

Josephk

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
Temp is at 74, I have not tested ph/gh. Never have on any of my tanks actually. I think the gravel looks bigger due to how far I'm zoomed in

20200429_185822.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Nice looking set up, and at least it isn't caused by overstocking ;)
You should really get a pH test kit to check. Do they still have barbels? The left one looks emaciated. I see the gravel is half the size of the cory. That is for a driveway, not a substrate for an aquarium. Very inconvenient for the cories as they like to dig through the gravel, but that is not causing their disease(s).

Reactions: Sprinkle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Joseph, welcome and that is a nice looking setup! Zero nitrates concerns me a bit, but we don't know the size of your tank, all that you keep in it and what you feed and how often you feed.

Your substrate is fine for many types of fish and setups, but like said, it's not ideal for corydoras. Is that a parrot chichlid? Tell us more about what fish you have.

I am not a fan of adding meds to the tank unless I know exactly what I'm treating for. I'm more for keeping nitrates as low as possible by doing water changes. Feed lightly with quality foods and monitor. If need be, you can up the water temp and aeration to see if it speeds along what's happening. Doing this all in quarantine is best. Very generally speaking, heat will speed along something parasitic or bacterial, but not something viral.

Josephk

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
The tank is a aqueon 210. It is stock at the moment with, Cory's(12), cardinal tetras(9) dension barbs(4), carry barbs(6), long fin white clouds(5), pearl guarmi(2), tail leopard pleco, and big orange is a red spot gold severum. Still working on stocking!
Filter is about 30 gallon sump. I keep nitrates that low by keeping water changes at weekly min of 25% and being so few fish for so much water. I feed standard flake food and pellets once daily. I don't over feed.
I am also not a fan of meds without knowing exactly, but I feel its better than it possibly spreading.
Switch the large gravel and did about a 75%water change yesterday and with the meds for about 5 days now it seems to be improving.

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure what's wrong with your corys. The white patches are 1 issue (columnaris maybe? I've not seen that in corys), the extreme skinniness another (internal parasites?).

What med did you decide on? You might want to invest in a 10 or 20g quarantine tank if you have room for another tank. I too am concerned you don't have any nitrate without a ton of plants.

Josephk

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
Currently treating with API Pimafix and Melafix. I do have a quarantine tank, its just currently full.

Josephk

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
Fish seemed to be getting better but has made no further improvements or worsen for that matter. I have read quiet a bit and still not sure what could be going on. From what I read Columnaris is a rapid killer once it has infected a fish

Josephk

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
No change over the last couple days. May need to try a different meds, Kanaplex and furan2 possibly. Any thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store