White fuzzy, stringy stuff in tank and on fish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pauhn

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
I have an Oranda and after a 75% water change yesterday, I noticed he's been acting different. He stays at the bottom of the tank, and generally in the same spot. I've noticed a fair amount of white, scaly (almost like shedding) floating throughout the tank, and on his head. It's white to clear, and looks fuzzy, it reminds me of a shedding snake.

The water change itself was typical, and I did not do anything different from the past water changes.

Also, for a quicker response, I can be contacted on AIM. Screen name: pauhn

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
Sounds like you have a mold problem. Any pics?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Is 75% normal percentage you change? It sounds like increase in slime production, a reaction to sudden/drastic water chemistry changes.

What are your tank's pH/NH3/NO2 before & after water changes and tap water as well!

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
edit:
Sounds like you have a fungus problem. Any pics?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Is 75% normal percentage you change? It sounds like increase in slime production, a reaction to sudden/drastic water chemistry changes.

What are your tank's pH/NH3/NO2 before & after water changes and tap water as well!
agreed. sounds like the fish is stressed and creating more slime coat than usual to protect itself from irritation.

has there been a lot of rain in your area lately? quite often the water company will add more chlorine or chloramine into the water supply when there is a lot of ground run-off. if you used the same amount of dechlorinator as usual it may not have been quite enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store