White spots showing up on my pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sero

Registered Member
May 30, 2020
I was given a 60 gallon tank with a 12 inch pleco and a golden dojo loach after about 2.5 weeks now I noticed the pleco started getting these odd white patches on his back doesnt appear to be ich and I cant find any solid info on what it may be, Is it starving is it too cold is it sick any ideas?

(plz excuse the super dirty tank previous owner passed and it sat awhile untill it was given to me, proper equipment to take care of it is in the mail)

20200530_205000.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I don't see anything wrong except normal coloration. What is the temperature of the tank, the pH, GH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?
Substrate ain't great. Dojo loaches are very social fish that need to be kept with more. Also they are not a tropical fish, and this will give problems.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure I see anything either. What I see could be water spots on the glass or reflection of the gravel or something else. Try for some clearer pics please.

Like the loach asked what are those numbers? Take a water sample to you fish store, they should test it for free (chainstores do & many others). Please write down the actual numbers even if it's a range, do not let them tell you it's "fine". I have a feeling those numbers will be too high for healthy fish but we need to know to help you.

As for temp, I would go for low 70Fs, it might be hard to keep that low in summer but a little while of too high temps, do the best you can.

What are the dimensions of the tank? 4ft x 1ft x 22 inches high? or a "breeder tank" 36in x 18in x 16? high. Neither is going to be large enough for 2 12+ inch fish. But it was good of you to rescue them.

Your best plan is to rehome them or give them to a shop. There are smaller plecos & loaches that can live in your tank, but not those I'm sorry to say.

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store