Whiteness on Betta’s Tail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

victor moncada

AC Members
May 22, 2018
Hello,

I recently got my betta. It’s been a few days. I put him in front of a mirror and he started flaring up after that. I don’t know if that has any relation, but shortly after that, he began to have a white film on his tail and started blowing bubbles on the surface. It doesn’t look Like a nest because the bubbles are all spread out. Is my fish ok?

Thanks.

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Bettas should be kept in a 5 gallon, filtered, heated aquarium. They are tropical fish, 78 degrees is ideal for temperature. Looks like it could be a bacterial infection. Do you test the water? Dechlorinate it? How often do you change the water? What are you feeding him?

victor moncada

AC Members
May 22, 2018
Bettas should be kept in a 5 gallon, filtered, heated aquarium. They are tropical fish, 78 degrees is ideal for temperature. Looks like it could be a bacterial infection. Do you test the water? Dechlorinate it? How often do you change the water? What are you feeding him?
I’ve had bettas before and I’ve always kept them like this. My last betta lived for 2 years. I live in Miami so our house is usually ~78 degrees. I do not test the water. I dechlorinate the water with a water conditioner I bought at petsupermarket. I change the water usually once a week. I changed it today and I got the fish on Saturday. There is a 3.5 gallon tank coming in the mail tomorrow with a filter. I feed him once a day and I feed him betta pellets. How can I be sure, and what are my options?

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
I've been really trying to see his fins. Can't tell for sure if it's bacterial or fungal...which are 2 totally different treatment methods. Since you can actually see your betta up close and in person, I would search the net to see if you can figure out which of the 2 he has and treat accordingly. I wish I could help you out further but I'm really having a hard time getting a real good look.

Is it only on his fins or does he show signs on his body too? in the meantime, daily water changes will help out until you get him proper meds.

victor moncada

AC Members
May 22, 2018
It is only on his fins, specifically the dorsal fin. He also spends a lot of time with his body at a 45 degree angle to the water, with his mouth facing up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
My phone isn't letting me see these super well. But here's some info you can look at. If he has tiny white specs/dots, it's ich. I "think" but can't be sure, again, tiny phone pics, it might be columnaris, which is bacterial caused by poor water. Or it could be fin/tail rot (also bacterial). Fish fungus (fungal) has a cotton like appearance. Try to figure out which he has and look up the treatment for him. Again, in the meantime, best thing to do is daily water changes.

victor moncada

AC Members
May 22, 2018
My phone isn't letting me see these super well. But here's some info you can look at. If he has tiny white specs/dots, it's ich. I "think" but can't be sure, again, tiny phone pics, it might be columnaris, which is bacterial caused by poor water. Or it could be fin/tail rot (also bacterial). Fish fungus (fungal) has a cotton like appearance. Try to figure out which he has and look up the treatment for him. Again, in the meantime, best thing to do is daily water changes.
Ok. Thank you very much. Do you think I can use BettaFix to help solve this problem? Will the environment of a tank help with the introduction of clean water?

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Unsure if BettaFix will solve the problem as I do not know what his problem is, only assuming. I haven't used BettaFix and have no experience with it. Do your research, figure out what he has and go from there. I know you're looking to do what's best for the little guy. Good luck to both of you :)

Reactions: victor moncada
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store