Whitish-grey string-like poop in female swordtail tangerine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquamate

Newbie on the block
Nov 12, 2009
A rural town in India
Dear friends,

One of my swordtail tangerines is excreting a whitish-grey string like poop. I have outlined the details below as requested in the sticky thread.

I regretfully accept that the details given below about our tank set-up are far from ideal, in fact to be avoided by all newbies. :eek:
To read the gory details of how this situation came about to be, please refer to my horror story http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211492

1. What is the size of your tank?
A. Length 24 inches Breadth 12 inches Height 15 inches. ~16 Gallons

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
A. I live in a rural town in India and am unable to procure testing kits. The ones I found are prohibitively expensive.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
A. Freshwater.

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
A. On 1st November 2009, we set up our first ever tank.

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
A. Seven fish. One pleco, 2 angels, 2 swordtail tangerines, 2 silver dollars. They are about 2 inches each and were bought and added to the tank on the first day itself.

At the beginning, along with the above, there were also 2 wag-tail platys, 2 half-back angels whom we returned for aggressive behavior.
There were also two snails, one who died and the other, we returned.
We lost one pleco and one goldfish in the first week (?ammonia toxicity).
There is another fantail goldfish whom we have kept in a quarantine tank (because he may mess up and increase the ammonia levels in the Main tank). Also, he has recovered from Ich and is recovering from ammonia burns (black patches on his back).

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
A. No.

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
A. 84 degF

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
A. No.

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
A. One biosponge and undergravel. Daily, we siphon as much of the debris on the floor (during the water change).

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
A. None. One air tube to aerate the tank.

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
A. The room is well lit and ventilated, but there is no direct sunlight falling on the tank. We use an Aquarium lamp for our viewing pleasure for about 8 hrs per day. We switch off the lamp and darken the room completely during the night for about 7-8 hours.

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
A. Since we had no idea of tank cycling, and our LFS did not guide us about the same, our tank is cycling with all the above fish in it. Hence we are doing 20-25% water changes daily to remove any excess ammonia and reduce the nitrites being formed.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
A. We feed them once a day. We rotate between protein flakes, fish food balls and frozen dried worms. Today we got vegetarian flakes which we have added to the rotation.

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

A. Please excuse the photos, they aren't exactly great...:eek:

Tang01.JPG
Tang02.JPG
Tang03.JPG

Since 2 days, the female swordtail tangerine seems to have a long whitish-grey string like (?poop) attached to her anus (see figures above). It gets long as 2-3 inches and then she either rubs it off or it decreases on its own. It may be itching/ irritating her because once in a while she rubs her abdomen on the pebbles on the floor of the tank. I also noticed her rubbing her pectoral fin once in a while. But I have observed her closely and she does not have any signs of Ich.
Other than that, she is alert, her mood seems fine and appetite is excellent
Could this be due to internal parasites? If so, what should be the treatment and diet for her?

Of note may be the fact that in the first week, the goldfish, silver dollars and one of the wag-tail platys had developed Ich. In the first week, we treated the tank with Pot.Permanganate and Methylene Blue. We also have added salt 2.5 tsp per gallon and increased the temperature to 84 degF which we have maintained for the past 2 weeks to eradicate the Ich. We now intend to stop adding salt and gradually decrease the temperature.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
A. We have not yet given any treatment.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Thanks in advance...

aquamate

Tang01.JPG Tang02.JPG Tang03.JPG

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
I know this is a week late, but...

This type of symptom has always confused me. Some claim that white/stringy poo is a sign of parasites, some claim it could be stress related (which could be the case in your situation considering the Ich treatment and the cycling), some say it is the norm - especially when considering the type of food the fish eats.

If I see more than one fish with this symptom for more than a few days (with optimal tank conditions) and I haven't fed the fish any light colored food, I will treat the tank with metronidozole or praziquantel. Jungle Parasite Clear (which contains both) has most often cleared up this symptom - whatever the cause was. Admittedly, I am not very patient when I see this - maybe I should be more so?

Last edited:

aquamate

Newbie on the block
Nov 12, 2009
A rural town in India
Patience and change in food is the key

I know this is a week late, but...

This type of symptom has always confused me. Some claim that white/stringy poo is a sign of parasites, some claim it could be stress related (which could be the case in your situation considering the Ich treatment and the cycling), some say it is the norm - especially when considering the type of food the fish eats.

If I see more than one fish with this symptom for more than a few days (with optimal tank conditions) and I haven't fed the fish any light colored food, I will treat the tank with metronidozole or praziquantel. Jungle Parasite Clear (which contains both) has most often cleared up this symptom - whatever the cause was. Admittedly, I am not very patient when I see this - maybe I should be more so?
Perhaps Patience and change in food is the key...

I just waited and did nothing but change the food to a more veggie based diet. The problem seemed to get solved on its own... :)
Perhaps a case of simple indigestion?

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
In your case patience was indeed wise since the tank wasn't even properly cycled yet - and not to mention the Ich problem with other treatments wil stress a fish big time.

As I mentioned, if your water conditions were good and multiple fish had this, then I would have went with meds. Obviously fish are stressed with ammonia and nitrite in a tank - and that type of poo is no uncommon in a stressed fish.

Is your tank showing any nitrates yet?

Also, I'm curious if the 84F temp with salt killed the Ich and how long have you been treating the tank?

Perhaps Patience and change in food is the key...

I just waited and did nothing but change the food to a more veggie based diet. The problem seemed to get solved on its own... :)
Perhaps a case of simple indigestion?

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
The pictures are of a male fish.

Could be parasites; could be less serious. Do you feed vegetables?

aquamate

Newbie on the block
Nov 12, 2009
A rural town in India
In your case patience was indeed wise since the tank wasn't even properly cycled yet - and not to mention the Ich problem with other treatments will stress a fish big time.
As I mentioned, if your water conditions were good and multiple fish had this, then I would have went with meds. Obviously fish are stressed with ammonia and nitrite in a tank - and that type of poo is no uncommon in a stressed fish.
Is your tank showing any nitrates yet?
Also, I'm curious if the 84F temp with salt killed the Ich and how long have you been treating the tank?

Yes, I'm happy to say that the above temperature and salt were enough to eradicate the Ich from my tank. :) Even after normalizing the temperature to room temperature and reducing salt concentration to zero through successive water changes, there were absolutely no recurrences of Ich in any of the inmates.
Of course, you must remember that I live in coastal rural India where temperatures range from 50 degF to 95 degF. It doesn't get as cold as in the USA.

Not only that, I had bought 3 Mollys and put them in a quarantine tank for a week (without adding salt in the water) one of the Mollys developed Ich (a gift from the LFS, I presume...and then again I believe Mollys are prone to Ich). Giving them the same temperature-salt treatment cured that tank as well!

I maintained the same salt concentration and temperature for the prescribed two weeks after the Ich spots disappeared, to ensure that all the parasites had gone through the life cycle and were eliminated.

And what more, in the rural coastal town in India that I live in, there's no commercial 'aquarium salt'. Out here in these neck of the woods, we have plenty of marine salt...and that's what I used...with no side effects whatsoever! :)
It would be a matter of debate as to actually how different is 'aquarium salt' from ordinary marine salt...

Needless to say...I'm no expert, but I entirely vouch for the temperature-salt treatment before trying any commercial drugs etc. :thumbsup: It's easier on the beneficial bacteria and the fish as well...

As regards nitrates, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been able to procure the test kits, they are currently out of the reach of my budget...

The pictures are of a male fish.
Could be parasites; could be less serious. Do you feed vegetables?
Thanks for the sex ID. But the funny thing is that the sword isn't developed enough, despite being the same age as the other swordtail. Also the other male and this swordtail are constantly doing the courtship routine throughout the day, as described in various articles. Then I read somewhere that sometimes an infertile female swordtail does sometimes 'change her sex', grows a 'sword-tail' like a male. I wonder if that's what's happening here...
Strange things keep happening in my tank... :nilly:
But I'm not complaining. The last thing I want at this stage is my tank overrun with swordtail fry! :D

I tried giving spinach and peas but they didn't like them. So I shifted over to vegetable based flakes containing spirulina. I wonder if that did the trick...

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated :)

regards,

aquamate

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store