who,s the meanest

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
My 2 cents.

The pirahna aggressiveness level has to be one of the most overrated things in aquaria history.

They are pack hunters in the wild and that and only that makes them a danger. No single pirahna will would ever even think of attacking any fish, man, woman, animal etc. that was the same size or bigger. This is a known fact. Yes there are the stories of the fish that goes bonkers then kills and eats a man or cow or whatever by itself. Those are the rarities of life.

I have owned and watched a 6 inch Salvini kill and eat a 11 inch domiant male Texas. In the texas' own tank. Dosen't mean all salvini's are killers. This one just happen to be one special SOB with a serious chip on his perverbial shoulder

I have seen many adult pirahna in tanks my life and not ONE has EVER come up to the glass and challenged me to protect it's terrotory or try and attack or eat me. I am talking about both tank raised and wild. Established or new to the tank. They have turned tail and hid, but never challenged. A true aggressive fish will. Be it african or SA/CA.

All of the fish mentioned so far could (except the previously mention pirahna) fall under the most aggressive fish area. Depends on the fish though. They all have their own personalities.

u-m_fan

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
ann arbor, michigan
who cares about the t-wolves or Lakers, the pistons are the best team, they are going to come back and force a game 7, that shows character.

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I disagree. There are some serrasalmus sp. that just WILL NOT tolerate tankmates. FOr example, S. rhombeus and S. elongatus, I would give them the win over ANY cichlid their size. They are solitary predators and with every tankmate I've tried, nothing has worked. I've INTRODUCED a 4 inch S. rhombeus to tanks with:

4 inch dovii
7 inch managuensis
3-6.5 inch red devils
salvinis
jack dempseys
texas cichlids

and many more. The result was; the rhom would flee to a corner, start defending it, then chew off tankmates fins and go for body shots as well. If another fish came too close to the piranha, it would put on a threat display, and start circling the other fish, then make rapid strikes until the other fish retreated. THe only fish that scared my piranha sh*tless was my asian redtail catfish @4.5 inches who gave the piranha a good hit. After 5 minutes I had to remove him from the tank because he was attacking the fins of the other ifhs and scaring them to death.

I DO NOT CONDONE FISH FIGHTING. I just attempted this because i have heard stories about piranhas tolerating tankmates and such, and mine didn't seem too aggressive compared to others I've seen. Now my piranha is the lone resident in his 35g.

skellon

AC Members
Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Black Piranha

Thats all I have to say is Serrasalmus Rhombeus! NOTHING will survive in a tank with it and it is a SOLITARY aquarium fish. As eric said when you make your comparisons you make them with the most skittish of all piranha; the red belly!
If all you know about the piranha species is the Red Belly then you are ignorant to atleast a dozen other piranha species that are more fierce!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store