Who uses feeder goldfish and why?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you use feeder goldfish (or anything other feeder for that matter)?

• yes - on everything that can eat them

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • yes - on most carnivores

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • yes - but only on really tricky fish

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • never (or just about never)

Votes: 84 66.7%

• Total voters

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
i used to buy feeder goldfish for my snakehead then..
fortunately it never got sick

it was kinda fun watching it hunt, wasn't aware of health issues back then

it got bigger and ate too much so i had to stop feeding it goldfish feeders.. i shifted to roaches and houselizards.. they were probably dirty but the snakehead ended up gowing huge and healthy anyway.. til it destroyed my tank and i had to sell it :duh:

KatsSurprise

Registered Member
Oct 17, 2005
Re: Live Food

Well considering I had 2 Red Bellied Pirranahs for 12yrs, I gave them live food only after I checked them, kept them quaranteed, for at least 3 weeks, and then fed them like crazy. My babies(pirannahs), didnt like frozen food at all. After they past away this March,(2 more months would of been 13yrs)I decided to regroup and get into saltwater fish. But as for live, if they say carnivore,keep it as close to natural as you can get, they dont have freezers or access to our food in the wild. Like my vet said to me, if they come in used to one thing(their species)and one thing only why change it? If you were a vegetarian, would you eat meat because someone forced it on you? Yes you might get used to it over time, but it will eventually cut back your heatlth span/life span. Being Careful I agree, but to avoid no. :sad: :sick:

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
feeder goldfish can carry disease and have no nutritional value. there are other feeder fish that are healthier, and frozen fish are even better

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
Never use feeders - we don't want to encourage the big fish to eat tank mates....:eek:
I don't feel the fish are missing out...they get a varied and very good diet.

neonmadness

AC Members
Sep 14, 2006
i feed my fish guppies that i breed myself and i make sure that hey arent just junkfood by feeding them hi quality hi protein foods. but i only give them feeders like once a week.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
man, talk about bringing an old thread back

anyhoo, i don't currently have any fish that eats feeders. and if i were to use feeders, they would be bred at home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store