Who uses feeder goldfish and why?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you use feeder goldfish (or anything other feeder for that matter)?

• yes - on everything that can eat them

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • yes - on most carnivores

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • yes - but only on really tricky fish

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • never (or just about never)

Votes: 84 66.7%

• Total voters

Isis_Nebthet

Registered Member
Feb 13, 2005
Personally I try to avoid it. I do feed my two clown knives feeders because that's what they'd been fed before I got them (they were each about a foot long when I got them..). I stick to rosies though. I'll eventually get them onto pellets but presently haven't had enough time to work on it.

rosemarie0007

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
Hey Bob,

That's a nice looking albino oscar you got there.

How big is he?

What else do you feed him? Has he tried to eat the loaches or africans?

-R.M.

bob1962

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
Woodstock NY
rosemarie0007 said:
Hey Bob,

That's a nice looking albino oscar you got there.

How big is he?

What else do you feed him? Has he tried to eat the loaches or africans?

-R.M.
He is 7", so are my other 2, he ate one of my loaches. I also had a bad african, I had to flush him down the toilet cause he chewed on my south american dragon fish and killed him, he also was starting to chew on my 8" pleco.

bob1962

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
Woodstock NY

rosemarie0007

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
bob1962 said:
I had to flush him down the toilet cause he chewed on my south american dragon fish and killed him, he also was starting to chew on my 8" pleco.

You know couldn't you go to your local petsmart or something and ask if they could accoommodate
the mean cichlid?

I don't think dragonfish go well with cichlids. They are not an agressive fish although some think they are.

-R.M.

rosemarie0007

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
I actually have 2 turtles, (not to get off topic).

(BTW if anyone knows what to do with 2 big florida river cooters please let me know!!! My son who went to college brought them back from florida some 5 years a go. I understand they can live 30 years. I know, don't purchase pets you can't care for, but my son was somewhat sad at the time and really enjoyed reptiles. Anyway these turtles are very healthy and easy to care for, but a bigger tank would be best, and we can't release them because they are from florida and we live in ct.)

So getting back to the fish thing. I feed my turtles feeders, and for some reason they did not eat them all. We have 2 feeders that ae now several inches. BTW the water quality is often filthy, but the feeders do fine, they actually eat the turle pellets.

I also keep a tiger and red oscar in another tank.

-R.M.

bob1962

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
Woodstock NY
travelinman1969 said:
Don't mean to get off topic, but Bob, your overstocked. Hope your gettin a much bigger tank soon.
Well, the fish are all doin fine so far, so when I get time I might get a 55?

bob1962

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
Woodstock NY
rosemarie0007 said:
You know couldn't you go to your local petsmart or something and ask if they could accoommodate
the mean cichlid?

I don't think dragonfish go well with cichlids. They are not an agressive fish although some think they are.

-R.M.
Petsmart said they wont take fish cause they are a corporation, I was however thinking of dropping him in their gold fish tank, being he was the same color :D

bob1962

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
Woodstock NY
rosemarie0007 said:
I actually have 2 turtles, (not to get off topic).

(BTW if anyone knows what to do with 2 big florida river cooters please let me know!!! My son who went to college brought them back from florida some 5 years a go. I understand they can live 30 years. I know, don't purchase pets you can't care for, but my son was somewhat sad at the time and really enjoyed reptiles. Anyway these turtles are very healthy and easy to care for, but a bigger tank would be best, and we can't release them because they are from florida and we live in ct.)

-R.M.
I would let you put them in the creek behind my house, but I doubt they would survive the winter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store