Why are dwarf gouramis fighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DodgeIntrepidV6

AC Members
Oct 26, 2002
New Haven, CT
www.cardomain.com
Today I noticed one dwarf gourami constantly is chasing and nipping the fin of another. I heard they belong in groups, so why is this happening? It doesn't bother any other fish in my tank...just the other D.G.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Male Dwarf gouramis are pretty aggressive for their size, aren't they? "Out of sight, out of mind" so adding plenty of floating plants, like Water Sprite, can help cut down the size of each territory, but it may not be enough.

Gourami territory-holding is closely linked to the water surface. If the loser is being crowded down to the bottom, like behind the heater, better get him a home in a friendlier neighborhood.

DodgeIntrepidV6

AC Members
Oct 26, 2002
New Haven, CT
www.cardomain.com
They're in a 55 gallon. I'm not sure the sex of them...they look exactly the same..if coloring determines the sex? The bully is just a little bigger then the other one.

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
I bought two D. Gouramis at the LFS when I started my putting fish in my 29G tank. They were selling them as male/female pairs only. I had this problem as well. When my tank was gettinga little overcrowded, I boughta 20G long and put them in there. The male doesn't chase the female as much in their new home. Are they like bettas where they don't like the females unless they are spawning? I know I have a male and female because the male is much more colorful than the female. Lots of plants and a tank that is longer than taller is better for them. Check my album in my sig for pics of my D. Gouramis. Good Luck. :)

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Originally posted by vfrex
I dont' think male gouramis are supposed to be kept together.
I kept male DGs together for years without more than mild chasing, so it puzzles me to read so many reports (here and on other boards/newsgroups) that they're aggressive. Maybe I bought a bunch of pacifists? :D

--Anthony

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
They get aggressive when there isn't much space.I've kept 2 blue guoramies or 2 spot guoramies males with little problems.

TeaPea

AC Members
Aug 26, 2002
Brightwaters, NY
Oh my God, my two dwarf Gourami's fight all the time. I think they are both male. They get into this weird "Fighting" position--their bodies kind of curl away from each other in a standoff and then let the nippin' begin. One time the larger one nipped a chunk of flesh off of the top of the smaller one's head! They are also very territorial with the other fish--especially the newcomers. My new Gold Ram Cichlids can't go near them without getting scared half to death.

:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store