Why are dwarf gouramis fighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DodgeIntrepidV6

AC Members
Oct 26, 2002
New Haven, CT
www.cardomain.com
55 gallons is more then enough room for them. Plus they don'tbother anyway else or newcomers for that matter. I guess it just depends on your fish, I happened to get the Hitler of gouramis

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Originally posted by TeaPea
My new Gold Ram Cichlids can't go near them without getting scared half to death.

:(
TeaPea, can you rearrange the tank furnishings a bit? That's a trick used in cichlid tanks to put everyone on an equal footing and let new territories develop. Perhaps that would help here.

--Anthony

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
Gouramies look like they would be a peacefull fish, but they can be surprisingly aggresive. I have couple of gold in a 29 and they nip eachother a lot. I can't tell them apart, and they both have great fins so I don't know if its one or both.

jafo

AC Members
Oct 6, 2002
Johnson City, TN
fishgeeks.com
A 55g should be more than enough room for 2 Dwarfs. Some are more docile than others but some will become a problem with any tankmates they can push around. I have 1 male with 5 kills and another with 2.

If you're not sure what a female looks like, I've got decent pics of them here http://members.fishprofiles.com/files/~jafo/Gouramies.html . The females have more rounded fins and are thicker in their bellies.

karfixer

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
So. Cal
Visit site
Move the furniture around, it throws 'em off and they'll relax for awhile. I just did that this A.M.- I noticed my boys-Gold Gouramis, have been pretty chippy lately and were standing off all morning. HTH Steve

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Originally posted by longhorn
Where can you get the female D.G.? Most of the LFS only carry male D.G.
My LFS carries both, but I suppose you could go through a breeder on Aquabid.com.

--Anthony

rockhead44

AC Members
Dec 10, 2001
New York
The way I see it is you have two choices either separate them of let them find there pecking order.The male have a pointed upper fin the females are curved.Usually they will stop if one gives in but if it doesn't they will keep it up till one dies.When you buy fish you need to keep this in mine .Balance is the key.I once picked up a beautiful angelfish and five minutes after I put him in the tank my other angelfish rip him or her to pieces.The fish eventually died,You live and you learn.With angel fish you can not tell right off the bat if they are male or female.But back then I did not know better.Now days if I was to introduce a new fish that might be chancy I would rearrange the tank,throw some food in there then turn out the lights then the new fish.No mater what you can not predict the out come.Just like some people don't get along with others as do fish.Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store