Why can't you buy guppy females at petland?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Virtuoso2K12

Mar 2, 2008
Southern CA
my LFS has very good quality guppies each variety in their tank with females and males and the females are like 2.29 and males like $3.50 and a pair for $5,i must be lucky!

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
You may find that the suppliers are unwilling to supply different numbers of males and females. When the fish breed, they produce equal numbers. What are the suppliers to do with all the leftover males this strategy would result in?

I disagree with this, 20 fry, 2 or 3 males and the rest being female in my tank, so theres nothing equal produced in my tank. A few more weeks and i can get them traded in for store credit... I need the space as i have around 3 more litters born since then. Will have to see what the ratio of male and female i got from those lots. :)

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I disagree with this, 20 fry, 2 or 3 males and the rest being female in my tank, so theres nothing equal produced in my tank. A few more weeks and i can get them traded in for store credit... I need the space as i have around 3 more litters born since then. Will have to see what the ratio of male and female i got from those lots. :)
This is unusual. On average, guppies produce equal numbers of males and females. You do know that they're all born looking female and only develop gonopodia and colourful finnage as they approach adulthood? If they're still small, many of these "females" will turn out to be males.

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
They are now over 4 months old and look male/female now. I know that as very young fish they all look the same. I also know that my males now look like males. And The females are larger and female looking now. Im waiting now to see what i get out of my next litter as it starts to grow up. But i definately have many more females than males out of that last litter.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
It happens; it could be just chance or a genetic issue with the male chromosomes. My point is that ON AVERAGE there is no numerical disparity between males and females in guppies.

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Where is your source for stating that this is unusual? For reference sake would be interesting to know :)

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Disparity in numbers of males and females is relatively rare, although it does happen in some species, but I've never seen it documented in guppies. My own experience is that males and females are produced in equal numbers, and that's over decades of having the aquatic rabbits breed from time to time. You do end up with more females over time because they appear to be longer lived than the males, but generally the numbers are roughly equal.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The only thing i have seen on the net regarding numbers of specific males or females is the temp setting in the tank, which, from a Google search, there is quite a lot of info on this....however, i have found nothing which says they are of equal numbers when the fry come.....

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Actually, there is: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/ares/2006/00000037/00000002/art00005

Note: The sex ratios of the progenies from survived gravid females were not differed from a balanced sex ratio (P>0.05).

In other words, sex ratios are roughly 50:50.

The proportion of females increased gradually with decreasing temperature and the proportion of males increased gradually with increasing temperatures rather than having a threshold response in heat-treated fry. However, mortality of heat-treated fry was high; it is most likely that our results were biased by sex-dependent mortality, which were also revealed by corrected sex ratios of the treatment groups and progeny testing of some individuals. These results suggest that a major gene linked to X-chromosome could be responsible for resistance and sensitivity to both high and low temperature.

In other words, female fry survive low temperatures better than males, but males survive high temperatures slightly better than females.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store