Why do I keep losing otocinclus???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
aha! lol. I have unsexed juvie cac oranges ready soon too :D And tylos ;)

seriously though what I do before buying fish from a store is ask a few key questions:
1. when did the come in
2. what are they eating and how well
3. how many have died

then I stop in a few times a few weeks in a row to look at them, repeating those questions each time to the various staff (I am one of those annoying people). If the stock stays looking healthy, I feel good about buying.. I never ever buy without having stopped in a few times to observe the stock and asking a few question. Its usually pretty easy to tell the bogus answers.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Thanks! Which variety of Tylos do you have? I have some yellow antennas on the way, and I'm interested in some of the others for sure. I was also hoping on holding out for some of those zebra otos. Since I got the 55 up and running, my partner has been looking over my shoulder at these forums and started drooling over them.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I had the exact same problem and with the red bellies too. Anyhow, you buy like a dozen on sale and then the few that are still alive after 2 weeks will probably stay alive for a long time. I'm not sure why exactly, but for most people this is the same.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
So, I went to a different LFS about a week and a half ago, found a tank of otos that they had for three weeks. Got 5 of them, 4 are still alive and chowing down! I think I finally got this one beat. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next week or so, but I may be in the clear. Thanks all.

(And Rachel, let me know when you get those apistos ready to ship, I've got a partner that's itching for them :p)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store