Why do some guppies die after giving birth?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tennesseemom

Shrimp Herder
Nov 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
blueinredstate.tumblr.com
One of my females just gave birth to about 50 fry over the course of a week, all the while that annoying male chasing her around. You can see inside where the fry used to be, it's like little red dots now, like she's bleeding inside. She seems fine, I should take that annoying male out.

briggadane

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
Lakewood Ohio
www.briggadane.com
Taking the male has seldom made a difference to my guppies survival after giving birth. Best things to do it you want to try to save her, is:
put her in a small bowl (12-16 oz jam jars work for me). tank water should only be about an inch deep. Have aged tap water ready. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of it every half hour til water is a few inches from the top. Add a drop of tea tree oil or melafix if you have it. Get her to eat live foods, if she will. Keep the water clean but do not rinse the jar out in the sink. if you have live plants in the tank, but one in the jar(it will add beneficial bacteria to keep ammonia down, it gives her algae to snack on, and a place to feel she can hide).
If she wants to live this will all help her make it. Good luck.

Keipos

AC Members
May 7, 2014
I used to have a few tanks of nice guppies. They have a higher mortality rate in general which is why they are so incredibly prolific. Natures own population control I guess. It seems like the biggest batch of fry a female produces, the greater chance there is of her croaking---makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

briggadane

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
Lakewood Ohio
www.briggadane.com
Its still relevant. Its something I keep getting asked, at least.
Another thing I found, was that the fry raised in my tanks had less chance of dying after birth. It was usually purchased females that died out.

So many people think its weak strains or their care, when it is really just an acclimation issue, I believe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store