Why does my water keep turning green?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pauhn

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Yes, it's a Biocube29. I only have 1 of the fluorescent lights in, as I took the other one out. Is the actinic lighting the purple "moon lights"? I used to have those on all night, but haven't since this happened.

By the way, now my water is cloudy/misty/foggy and my ammonia is .25, nitrates are 0 and nitrites are 1. I've been doing 10%-20% water changes daily.

Hopefully everything calms down eventually.

pauhn

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
I've had the tank since October, and I put the Oranda in, the second week of December, after what I thought was a full cycle...

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
But as you change the filter, you may be triggering a "recycle" as you are taking much of the beneficial bacteria out. That could be why it is taking so long. Keep up with your water changes and leave the filter media as it is. If it needs to be rinsed, do it in a bucket of tank water and replace it. I think that a lot of the problems will take care of themselves. -- Good luck. Your goldies are very attractive; I saw them on the goldfish post.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
I agree, although it may say to replace the filter media often it's usually better to just rinse it off (in dechlorinated water).

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
So you did a "fishless cycle" from October to Dec by adding ammonia to the tank daily? Remember a cycle is the forming of a nitrifying bacteria colony. That can only happen in the presence of a food source (ammonia)- a lot of people think "cycling" just means letting the water run through the filter for a while. I can understand the confusion, so I just want to make sure...

Don't change the filter media any more. Give it a good rinse in the tank water you remove at water change time then put it back. Don't use tap since tap water generally contains chlorine or chloramine, which will kill the bacteria. Replace it only when it is too junked up to clean out anymore- like once every 6 months, and never replace it all at once.

I think your problem is ammonia. I don't care how much light you put over the tank, in a properly cycled tank that is getting 3x weekly water changes there is no way you could have enough "food" available for a green water algae bloom.

In the mean time, to make it pretty, use a floculant (like accu-clear) - it will cause the algae particles to stick together so your filter sponge/floss can catch the clumps. Rinse out your media 24 hours later (again, not in tap water). The tank should be nice and sparkly clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store