Why fish nip?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Why do fish nip even if they are not territorial,is this an instinct to eat worm like fins or is it just because there is no fun not nipping?

sChArF

AC Members
Feb 11, 2002
Calgary, AB
arofanatics.com
Well i just ask them, and aparntly they get kinda bored so they play tag, but to use it looks like niping.

My guess.
some fish like to eat the slime coat.
some fish are just leting the othere fish know that they are boss.
Boy and girl fish get to know each othere.
fish talk.
Some fish are just meaner then otheres.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I cant faithfully answer this one, but here is what happened to my fish:

I have 5 distichidus Affinis (tetra family). I have SEEN them nip themselves alot (male/female thing cause it only occurs on 3 fish, the other 2 are left alone). ANYWAYS, I notice if I dont feed them cichlid excel pellets (their favorite), they must get hungary. I would notice bite marks on my tinfoils tails and some other fish as well. HOWEVER, if I feed them well, there is no fin nipping. So maybe your fish are just hungary?

Its not an aggression thing with the affinis. If another fish looks at them, they swim away fast!

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I'd say that, from experience, ALL fish have a form of heirarchy. I've even witnessed larger male guppies and swordtails chasing or displaying at smaller males in hopes of intimidation.

So, I'd say that's it's an aggression/who's boss type of thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store