Why I lost my fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
Turns out when I bought my prime off eBay it had been been watered down by the seller. I only found this out after doing some digging on the seller and looking at feedback etc in which people had lost fish when using it for no obvious reason.

My question is, if prime was watered down would it be useless? I doubt it would be much good etc. this would explain why when the ammonia levels in my water went up slightly due to cleaning of the system that I lost my fish, the prime wasn't working properly.

I have spent a lot extra from a reputable seller in the uk to get my prime to avoid any further problems happening. My plan is to get 4 juvenile angels and put them in a 125litre till they are big enough to put in my community tank. Then after this I will stock the 125litre :eek:)

I have learnt a big lesson. I bought it cheap when I could have afforded it at full price...... Sometimes cheaper isn't better!
Tony

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
WOW, what a jerk that seller is. Sorry to hear it but glad you have figured it out! Are the bottles you are getting now sealed under the cap with a "tamper proof" seal? All the bottles I buy here are.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
It was sealed but this was obviously tampered with, it did seem to be ok to me however.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
That really sucks, Prime just hard to find over there or is it expensive? 500ml here runs about 7-7.50 pounds.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
Hard to find now, seachem have stopped it coming to the uk due to unknown reasons. Used to cost about £10 for a bottle now it is £22..... I will pay £22 each time now though!!!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
That is pretty pricey, if you ever decide to stock up shipping from the US would probably cost around 15 pounds for upto several bottles. Also maybe see if Seachem Safe is available over there, same as prime but in powder form.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
That is pretty pricey, if you ever decide to stock up shipping from the US would probably cost around 15 pounds for upto several bottles. Also maybe see if Seachem Safe is available over there, same as prime but in powder form.
Hopefully my new bottle will last me a long time, it's not watered down at least.....

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Isn't Prime just a dechlorinator? Higher ammonia levels would have nothing to do with a dechlorinator. I am not saying that is what caused the deaths but if you have ammonia readings in your tank then the prime is not the only problem.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Isn't Prime just a dechlorinator? Higher ammonia levels would have nothing to do with a dechlorinator. I am not saying that is what caused the deaths but if you have ammonia readings in your tank then the prime is not the only problem.

also removes ammonia

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
also removes ammonia
NO, Prime detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 24-48 hours but does NOT remove it.
From Seachem:

Prime® also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic. It is very important to understand how those two functions work together. All dechlorinators operate through a chemical process known as reduction. In this process, toxic dissolved chlorine gas (Cl[SUB]2[/SUB]) is converted into non-toxic chloride ions (Cl-). The reduction process also breaks the bonds between chlorine and nitrogen atoms in the chloramine molecule (NH[SUB]2[/SUB]Cl), freeing the chlorine atoms and replacing them with hydrogen (H) to create ammonia (NH[SUB]3[/SUB]).
Typically, dechlorinators stop there, leaving an aquarium full of toxic ammonia! Seachem takes the necessary next step by including an ammonia binder to detoxify the ammonia produced in the reduction process.

Sorry for the loss of your fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store