why Ich now?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
The invertebrates will not contract ich so it is safe to remove them out of the tank. Even though salt will not hurt the snails when you dissolve it, it would be safer to remove the snails out of the tank. Though the trophonts might end up trapped inside the shells of the snails, the snails will not be affected by it at all. By 48-72 hours, the trophonts eventually die due to lack of hosts (assuming the snails are placed in a fish-free environment).
This is the reason why I suggested removing all the fish from the planted tank and treat seperately. The plants, snails, shrimp will not need any treatment at all, just higher heat to accelerate the life-cycle of the remaining Ich.

The fish would be treated with just salt and heat, and will only take a week to cure.

Of course Lupin makes it easier to understand! :thm:

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
I hope all is going well...and good luck on getting rid of that pesky illness

it is a PITA literally

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
thanks. I put in the API Super Ich Cure; it's Blue! :nilly: but it is only day 2; ready to add the second dose. Supposedly, I can do a water change 48 hours after the second dose. Then I guess I just wait and see if it reappears. I upped the tank temp to 84 so hopefully it will take care of all of it. I really hope this stuff works. I know API typically has good products so I am hopeful.........

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Well, I finished the treatment and did a 30% water change. I have left the heat up and intend to keep it there for at least another week. Now I just wait and watch to see if the Ich resurfaces. I saw in another thread that the lack of salt can cause health issues in mollies. Could this be the reason my molly started getting spots, just out of the blue? I am getting confused and am wondering if I need to rehome him for his health.....

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Noodles I had a few black mollies in my pleco tank for a while and observed them to be very sensitive to water temperature changes which did not affect the embers, the cories, the SAE or the plecos. And I'm only talking a couple of degrees, not a few! One day I got interrupted after I already had drained the water out, and I do a good 80% drain. So it cooled off just a little with the heaters unplugged. And yup! The mollies showed up with a couple of ick spots very shortly after that. I did nothing for the ick since it wasn't a big attack and it resolved itself.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Noodles I had a few black mollies in my pleco tank for a while and observed them to be very sensitive to water temperature changes which did not affect the embers, the cories, the SAE or the plecos. And I'm only talking a couple of degrees, not a few! One day I got interrupted after I already had drained the water out, and I do a good 80% drain. So it cooled off just a little with the heaters unplugged. And yup! The mollies showed up with a couple of ick spots very shortly after that. I did nothing for the ick since it wasn't a big attack and it resolved itself.
Very interesting, Deb. I do my best to match the water temp when I do water changes but to be quite honest there has been a time or two when I just judged it by how it felt on my hands....usually I am right on, but perhaps not as often as I think! :headshake2: (also, it was only the molly that had symptoms ~ what I thought was spots on the tetra was just a bump on his noggin ~ either the angel got him or he hit the heater/intake!)

Sooooo, I prob'ly just medicated my tank when I really did not need to :wall: but I had such a bad time when I had Ich in my guppy tank, I kinda panicked!

Just to be safe tho, I will watch him for another week or two before I put him in the other tank.....

** and congrats Deb on your son's graduation and new adventure. I am a Navy/Air Force mom myself) Can't help but to beam with pride! :grinyes:

Last edited:

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Thanks for the congratz, I will beam forever! He just traveled to his aircrew school in Florida this past Wednesday. It also happened to be his 21st birthday. Grateful, patriotic civilians in the airport bought him his lunch and his first drink.....but when he told me 4 different people did I just about fell off my chair! LOL! Anyway.........at least for the tank with the mollies in it, get that thermometer out and stick it under the incoming tap before you refill. I always do on every tank, I don't take chances. And I stay outta trouble that way!:)

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
copper safe

if you dont have invertabrae then use copper safe. a mardel product. dosent harm plants its a one time dose you can use it all the time and wont hurt plants. if you have shelled cretures put in other tank then treat. treatment last one month. just used it last week i have lots of diffrent plants. none were affected. i saw the ich start disipating in the fist 24 hrs. complete clear up after 3 days

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store