why Ich now?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
OK - I have had this tank (& fish) up for a long time....I have had this black Molly for 5-6 months - now he has Ich. The only thing that has changed is that I moved 8 weeks ago and added eco complete substrate when I set up the tank in the new place. Why does he have Ich now? My params are 0-0-0 (yes, 0 nitrates-it is planted) the Angel fish chases him a little but not excessively......I do not want to treat with salt as my plants are doing really nice; I do not want to quarantine as he has probably already infected the other fish......what meds should I use?
:help:

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
API Super Ich Cure worked for our planted tank without significant damage to the plants. However, you will have weird water color. After the treatment, mass water change and chabon in the filter can remove the color.
Thanks - I am not worried about water color if it does the job.....I will look for it at my LFS....anyone else have advice? I am soooo mad right now. Why Ich now? :FIREdevil:

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I agree with msjinxzd...heat and salt...I always thought it was the least harmful to the fish :thumbsup:. Such a dreadful disease...Good Luck...

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
But won't salt kill off my plants? Last time I had Ich it really diminished my plants.....

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Why Ich now? :FIREdevil:
That sucks! Having a random outbreak like that so frustrating. Have you added any new plants or inverts recently? It's not common, but ich can hijack in on plants or other critters in the tomont stage, and then the theronts hatch inside your tank.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
If the pros agree that the salt won't hurt your plants go with that. If your plants will be harmed by salt then I have used Kordon Ich Attack very successfully.

Another user, Tay690 just finished treating and curing his Ich with this product. It takes a bit longer, but you still do the increased heat to speed up the life cycle. Ich Attack is an organic herbal product that has napthoqinones, the ingredient that kills the parasite in the free swimming stage.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
If you are worried about the plants, you can remove the fish and treat them seperately. Increase the heat in the planted tank to kill off the parasites and return the fish when you are ready.

Unfortunately, I do not have the answer to your question, I don't know why Ich came back after 5-6 months, if it was ever in that tank to begin with. I have heard that Ich cysts could possibly be dormant until the right conditions present itself, and hatch. Kinda like brine shrimp eggs.

Shawn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store