Wierd growth on Acei's dorsal fin! Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smitty114

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
ATL, Georgia
Thanks for all the information guys. I will keep the water clean and hopefully he'll be okay.

I will try to get better pictures with a better camera and see if you can give a better diagnosis, I realize these are not good pics and defintely don't portray what this thing really looks like.

About it being a tumor, I'm inclined to think that it isn't a tumor because it is spreading to it's anal fin (it's getting that pinkish color and is swelling a bit), unless tumors can spread to other parts of the body, I'm just not very familiar with them. It's probably hard to see that in the picture.

CornBreadjiffy

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Memphis, TN
Man that is one disturbing fact that makes me want to change my water right now and again and again and again just to make sure. Have anyone every figured that cause or is it genetic

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
Man that is one disturbing fact that makes me want to change my water right now and again and again and again just to make sure. Have anyone every figured that cause or is it genetic
If it's Lymphocystis, it's viral, not genetic.. at least not based on currently available science. If it's a tumor, it could be caused by genetics but not necessarily hereditary genetics, since I also consider cancer cells/tumors to be genetic mutations of normal cells and many cancers are not related to hereditary genetics... although some are. If it's a benign type cyst, they can form for various reasons. More info on these types of disease issues are being explored with Koi and Goldfish keepers.. and probably with some SW fish keepers (although I don't hang around in any SW fish forums) as folks with more expensive fish are most likely to spend the money on Veterinarian care for their fish. A goldfish forum that I frequent has several members who have taken their pet goldfish to the veterinarian and others that do procedures on their own fish based on the the detailed reports and photos by other members.

Smitty114

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
ATL, Georgia
Ok I've got a few better pictures from the top angle so you can see that part. And as you can see, it has spread to his bottom anal fin.

He is getting worse and is starting to stay towards the top of the tank, and is now not eating.

Any ideas?

photo 2.JPG photo 4.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store