Wild bluegills in an aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i wonder what blue gill tastes like. . . . ?

Fish-Head Aric

Fish-Head Aric
Jul 8, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA
groups.msn.com
The important factor with bluegill is partly tank size, but as it is with many river and lake fish, air and current is important. A strong current is needed for many wild fishes, but with bluegill air is the real issue.

Any fish that is caught in a stream or river is likely to depend heavily on current. Prime example would be salmon. Without a steady, strong current salmon smolt (baby salmon) will die. They spend all their time in water current. The current provides two very important things - air (can't live without" and exercise (without which the fish will not be fit for survival in its natural habitats). They are accustomed to "swimming in place" to breathe as the water moves downstream, whereas if you put a salmon smolt in a little-to-no-current fishtank it will still try to "swim in place" but because it is not resisting a current it just hovers. With no current bringing it air it doesn't follow the need to swim for air to make up for lack of current. My high school marine biology class had an ongoing salmon hatch-release project in a local stream. When keeping the little fellas in a large aquarium with strong waterflow they did well, but when in still/sluggish water they all asphixiated.

Feeding bluegill is not too difficult once the fishes have become accustomed to their surroundings. The main thing is providing food that is similar to that of the bluegill's normal diet.

id10t

AC Members
Jun 10, 2005
I'm eventually gonna keep some 'gills. Given a decent size tank size - 55 min for one and 25-30 gal each - they can do fine. Remember that the world record was over 4lbs. and fish pushing 2lbs are caught relatively frequently.

For feeding, guppy fry (or guppies themselves), crickets, worms, ants (if you don't poision your yard), mosquito larvae, bloodworms, wax worm, or just about any other terrestial they can fit in their mouth. They should probably take to pellts, flakes or anything else that fits in their mouth. They should take well to pellets and such with no problems, once they are used to their environment.

Don't forget that the males will be a tad territorial as well.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Better be doing daily 80% or more WCs on that tank since its not cycled. Keeping game fish is also illegal in most states. You will need a much larger tank for them, 55 gal as a minimum 75 would be much better. Do not allow any of the water from that tank to get near any of the other tanks, those fish could easily be carrying some nasty internal and or external parasites.

reignman40

AC Members
Jun 15, 2005
Spokane, WA, USA
Illegal? WTF!!!!!

I don't know for 100%, but common sense glares this question so I must ask.

Why on earth would it be illegal to keep a fish you catch legally in your own home aquarium? I know there are issues with releasing your aquarium fish into the wild, but if you catch a fish to eat it and instead decide to put it in your tank... I'm not sure how there could ever be a law preventing that? What would even be the premise of this law? To protect the rights of fish to be kept in most likely inhumane conditions? If this were the case then there would be subsequent issues with LFS's selling fish too large for people's small tanks.

I just had to say it. If anyone knows seriously of an official law in any state that prevents keeping a wild fish at home please post a link. I would really just love to read that. Makes no sense.

Curtis

Ramirezi

Punish the Deed not the Breed
Apr 26, 2005
Florida
this is FL law not sure about other states:

Sec. 372.922. Personal possession of wildlife.—
(1) It is unlawful for any person or persons to possess any
wildlife as defined in this act, whether indigenous to Florida or
not, until she or he has obtained a permit as provided by this
section from the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
(2) The classifications of types of wildlife and fees to be
paid for permits for the personal possession of wildlife shall be
as follows:
(a) Class I—Wildlife which, because of its nature, habits,
or status, shall not be possessed as a personal pet.
(b) Class II—Wildlife considered to present a real or
potential threat to human safety, the sum of $140 per annum.
(c) Class III—All other wildlife not included in Class I or
Class II, for which a no-cost permit must be obtained from the
commission.
(3) The commission shall promulgate rules defining Class
I, Class II, and Class III types of wildlife. The commission shall
also establish rules and requirements necessary to ensure that
permits are granted only to persons qualified to possess and
care properly for wildlife and that permitted wildlife possessed
as personal pets will be maintained in sanitary surroundings
and appropriate neighborhoods.
(4) In instances where wildlife is seized or taken into
custody by the commission, said owner or possessor of such
wildlife shall be responsible for payment of all expenses
relative to the capture, transport, boarding, veterinary care, or
other costs associated with or incurred due to seizure or
custody of wildlife. Such expenses shall be paid by said owner
or possessor upon any conviction or finding of guilt of a
criminal or noncriminal violation, regardless of adjudication or
plea entered, of any provision of chapter 828 or this chapter, or
rule of the commission or if such violation is disposed of under
s. 921.187. Failure to pay such expense may be grounds for
revocation or denial of permits to such individual to possess
wildlife.
(5) Any person, firm, corporation, or association exhibiting
or selling wildlife and being duly permitted as provided by s.
372.921 shall be exempt from the fee requirement to receive a
permit under this section.
(6) This section shall not apply to the possession, control,
care, and maintenance of ostriches, emus, and rheas, except
those kept and maintained primarily for exhibition purposes in
zoos, carnivals, circuses, and other establishments where such
species are kept for display to the public.
(7) Persons in violation of this section shall be punishable
as provided in s. 372.83.
History.—s. 1, ch. 74-309; s. 9, ch. 91-134; s. 3, ch. 93-223; s. 591, ch.
95-148; s. 6, ch. 98-333; s. 174, ch. 99-245; s. 34, ch. 2002-46; s. 10,
ch. 2003-151.

So i guess you can catch it and eat it...but dont keep it!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
reignman40 said:
I don't know for 100%, but common sense glares this question so I must ask.

Why on earth would it be illegal to keep a fish you catch legally in your own home aquarium? I know there are issues with releasing your aquarium fish into the wild, but if you catch a fish to eat it and instead decide to put it in your tank... I'm not sure how there could ever be a law preventing that? What would even be the premise of this law? To protect the rights of fish to be kept in most likely inhumane conditions? If this were the case then there would be subsequent issues with LFS's selling fish too large for people's small tanks.

I just had to say it. If anyone knows seriously of an official law in any state that prevents keeping a wild fish at home please post a link. I would really just love to read that. Makes no sense.

Curtis
Well, you can also hunt, kill and eat deer but you can't keep them as pets either.

id10t

AC Members
Jun 10, 2005
re: Florida law (Ramirezi)

From - http://floridafisheries.com/faqs/#aquaria

What regulations apply to harvesting fish for home aquaria?--Answer: The rules and regulations for recreational take and possession apply (see http://floridafisheries.com/rules.html). You cannot be in possession, or your aquarium be in possession, of more than these limits, legal methods of collecting and license requirements also apply. You need a freshwater fishing license to take (defined as "taking, attempting to take, pursuing, hunting, molesting, capturing, or killing any freshwater fish, their nests or eggs, by any means, whether or not such actions result in obtaining possession of such freshwater fish or their nests or eggs.") Legal license exemptions are listed on our license site (an example would be kids under 16 years of age). You will also need to avoid taking Florida's endangered species. A list of them can be found at www.floridaconservation.org/pubs/endanger.html .

LostPepperDee

AC Members
Jul 17, 2005
NE Tennessee
Wow! Thanks everyone! My ISP was down for 2 days, so this was the first chance I've had to check back.

I completely agree that we should have put them back in the lake. I am keeping any kind of wildlife captive. But unfortunately, I am married to a man who thinks he knows it all and doesn't take advice well (especially from anyone on the internet--he has a thing against the internet for some reason).

I wish I had read your posts about changing the water more frequently. Unfortunately, the larger of the two (the one with the extra sore lip) has gotten a really bad case of tail rot. Plus his face never looked like it was healing. When I first noticed the tail rot, I immediately went to the local Pet Partners (probably a big mistake) to see what I needed to do. They sold me something called MelaFix. The package made it sound wonderful, but after two days, he has continuously gotten worse. His tail is almost bare and now he has a spot of ick on his head. So I went to the pet store near where I work, that is part of a veterinary clinic and they told me to do atleast a 50% water change and use Maracyn Plus. I brought it home today and changed the water using bottled spring water that was room temperature (I took out almost 15 gallons using one of those tank vaccums). I took out the charcoal part of the filter and added the medicine. Unfortunately, I think it might be too late for the one fish. His balance is really gone and he seems to be trembling (do fish shiver?). I feel so sorry for him.

The other fish is doing great. Actually they both were until the tail rot started. They were eating great (loves crickets and earthworms and mosquito larva). I'm sure I can't release them now, with the antibiotics. I feel awful. My husband got so mad when I even suggested letting them go. Actually, my daughter was cool with the idea...she is really good about letting go any wildlife she finds. We let her watch whatever it is for a few hours and then release it. But my husband kept saying, I don't want a goldfish or a beta... I kept trying to tell him that there were other fish we could get, but it just made him mad; said they were boring and that these were interesting. I don't understand him...

What's funny is when I got the Melafix from PetPartners, I rescued a Beta that looks like his back is broken (they said he is just resting). That really made his day. :rolleyes: But that is another story...

Anyway, I really wanted to thank you all for your advice. I will let you know how it turns out.

Kristen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store