Wild Oscar colors

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldfries

AC Members
Oct 11, 2001
Malaysia
www.briancyc.com
can someone define to me the color of WILD oscar?

i have some babies 1+ inch. they're definitely not red, and not tiger and not albino.

their coloration would be light grey/dark grey and beige/gold.

they have lightgrey/beige coloration when the color is fade and have dark grey/gold when it's in full color.

the 'o' marks are brownish gold and visible all the time.

oh and another question is, how do i make my oscar 'flare' their colors? sometimes i just come home and i see them in their beautiful, optimal color. does it have to do with sunlight? does sunlight have anything to do with oscar coloration?

please advise.

goldfries

AC Members
Oct 11, 2001
Malaysia
www.briancyc.com
ok

well.........hrm. that doesn't really answer it yet, but we're getting warmer.

so

1. what does my babies sound like? i've seen some tigers with greyish body and yellow stripes, unlike the normal tigers with darker shade body and orange stripes. could they be such variation?

"They are like tiger oscars but they are less striped and they more have green and dark brown on most of their bodies." -O-man21

2. do they have any slight orange/red stripes like tigers? i've seen some tigers with very minimal markings and found them not that attractive.

------------

i am still on a lookout for those oscars like in http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles/cichlids/oscar.asp

i like the 1st and the 2nd pic type of oscars, hoping my babies would turn out at the 1st pic and maybe some day i get to find the one in the 2nd pic. cool jet black.

i don't like red oscars though.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Wild Os

My 4 -6" Wild Oscars range from beige to dark grey in color. They can go from light to dark very quicky, just like most Os. The dominate female in my tank stays the lightest, while the smallest one is almost always black from stress. They lighten up once in a while. They look very much like the 2nd picture in that link w/ the dark stripes. The oscar's "spot" is outlined in red.

I doubt you would find wild oscars by luck. I have to hassle my LFS to get mine. Definatly cool though. If you can get some, go for it!

The oscar in the first pic looks alomost 'gold' in coloration.

Oscars labled "Black" are black with white stripes. I guess the white goes away and it keep a black look. They are available at chainstores around here. I have never seen one grow out. They look exactly like the one pictured in a recent post, "oscar sick" or something like that.

Wild Os, are lighter in color than that.

ttl

goldfries

AC Members
Oct 11, 2001
Malaysia
www.briancyc.com
>My 4 -6" Wild Oscars range from beige to dark grey in color.
hrm.........sounds like mine.

>They can go from light to dark very quicky, just like most Os. The
>dominate female in my tank stays the lightest, while the
>smallest one is almost always black from stress. They lighten up
>once in a while.
hrmm...........really sounds like mine too. but i think it's best i get a shot of them before i re-post this question. ;) then i'm sure u guys can help me define their category.

>They look very much like the 2nd picture in that link w/ the dark
>stripes. The oscar's "spot" is outlined in red.
hrm. mine looks erm........like neither of them. but i like that black one a lot.

>I doubt you would find wild oscars by luck.
yeah they're rare. u guys are lucky in the US, or whichever country you're in. 95% of the fish sold over here are Flowerhorns.

>I have to hassle my LFS to get mine.

>Definatly cool though. If you can get some, go for it!
Definitely, my parents will surely say i'm crazy to get so many tanks. haha. getting a 55gal tank for my 'o' cos i love it so much.

>The oscar in the first pic looks alomost 'gold' in coloration.
yes. mine's not entirely like that. the only golden part is on the 'o' mark itself.

>Oscars labled "Black" are black with white stripes.
>I guess the white goes away and it keep a black look.
>They are available at chainstores around here.
I bought one that looks black/silver/grey but then he got killed by my Magma(3inch then) when the small guy was 1+ inch.

>I have never seen one grow out. They look exactly like the one >pictured in a recent post, "oscar sick" or something like that.
I'd like it if they're that color.

>Wild Os, are lighter in color than that.
any picture of Wild Os?

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
That is a good pic. Mine have alittle less color in their tales.

ttl

Arkady

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
San Francisco
sf415.cjb.net
what about my Oscars? My larger one is blackish-green with a slight hint of brown where his stripes are supposed to be, and the smaller one is brownish-green with simply a lighter shade of brown where her stripes are supposed to be.. At first glance, they look solid in colour... black and brown... but if you study closely... you can see their colours... brown and green mainly. They have absolutely no colour in them at all. The only red I can find, is very very very dull red around the "eye" on their tail.

Frameshift

Cookie Monster
Oct 22, 2001
Honolulu, HI
Goldfries~

Oscars go through a "morph" like many other cichlids. You will notice them changing at around 3", it is perfectly normal. They start out life looking much different than they will at adulthood.

(I don't know if this pic will work, it's the best I could find.)
Baby tiger oscar-

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store