WILL ADDING AQUARIUM SALT HARM LIVE PLANTS ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bert

ENJOYING THE HIGH DESERT OF NEVADA
Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
Is that how you thought of youe avatar name "oh No 123 ?:grinyes: Just kidding, How much salt did you have in the tank ? Did you end up trying to remove the salt, or try other plants ?

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
In my experience at least, salt melts most plants.

on some websites you can find lists of supposedly 'salt tolerant' plants that include everything from hyrophilia to anacharis to amazons.

and in nature, its true that some grow close to the ocean in rivers in south america.

however, I have never heard of many of these same plants doing well at normal salt dosages for ich treatments.

everytime someone says I added salt..at least some of their plants melt.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I've only added salt during ich treatments and I can't say if it was the salt the heat or a combination but I did have some plant die off. Nothing major and everything bounced back. This was at 2 tsp per gallon. I doubt a low concentration would hurt but then again there is no real reason to add salt unless its for treatment.

bert

ENJOYING THE HIGH DESERT OF NEVADA
Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
I have restocked the new fish i was going to get with fish that even the stores say don't need salt. one of my blood parrots died and so i took the other one to the dealer who gave it a good home at his house. So now all small fish except the clown loaches. I still have my skirt tetras i used to restart my tank 4 years ago moving to nevada, and i restocked my tank with 20 glowlight tetras & 20 neon tetras and it's been a week and everything is just fine. I told the people at petco that plants hate salt and they replied " really ? i didn't know that " well now they do !! I asked her if she would put salt on her house plants and she said no way ! i said why ? she said it would probably kill them. point made.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store