Will copper in ferts hurt shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
We just picked up some Nutrafin Plant Gro (iron enriched). It says that it is safe for fish and "other aquatic organisms." But it contains 0.0005% chelated copper, and I'm worried about the shrimp. Can anyone here verify that it'll be safe for them?
They're just feeder shrimp, but we like 'em :)

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
This comes up about food from time to time too since there is minimal concentration of copper in a lot of foods.

Just like most living organisms shrimp need a little bit of copper to survive. Copper may be toxic- but miniscule amounts such as found in food and ferts shouldn't hurt a properly maintained tank.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Thanks!

goshiki1

AC Members
Sep 2, 2009
Chelated copper in Plant ferts

hi I have same concern . im using the dry ferts . I read that they have .10 % in it. Its very lo. Can hurt fish at hi concentrates & Inverts. I also know that a good dechlor That neutralizes metals should neutralize it. Then test with a chelated copper test. good lick let me know how U do. Im on Day 4 with dry ferts and my wood shrimp looks f=good 7 the fish. Im gettin the test kit. And i use Kordons meatals /dechlor. Chuck. PS Now does this get m\y wife & I an invite to stop in & stay in Hawai for a couple days ? ;o)

Gypsy125

AC Members
Jun 11, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Same question I guess, except I use TetraPlant FloraPride and am about to receive some red cherry shrimp. According to the website it has 18 ppm of cooper - is that safe?

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
PS Now does this get m\y wife & I an invite to stop in & stay in Hawai for a couple days ? ;o)
lol, I guess that's directed at me :)
Thing is, after 7 years in Hawaii, my husband and I are moving to Iowa this August. I just sold my 55 gallon this weekend and rehomed my betta yesterday. Getting ready for the big move!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store