will Cory catfish and Dwarf Gouramis be fine together

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishenjoyer

Registered Member
Oct 2, 2021
Hi I’m looking to get a new aquarium size 10-15.
And I was wondering if Cory catfish(haven’t decided on specific species) and Dwarf Gouramis will be fine together?
I was thinking 5-4 Cory and 1-2 gouramis together in a planted tank. With maybe a few shrimp like amano or ghost.
I’m new to this forum so sorry if I posted it on the wrong one !

Fishenjoyer

Registered Member
Oct 2, 2021
oh also if anyone has a better suggestion for fish to get I’m completely open to it! I have no preference for fish or how they look I just like fish a lot and want to own some (easy ones because I’m new to it)

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I would say you need a 20 gallon for dwarf gourami or any of the larger cory species unfortunately.

However, you could do one of the 3 dwarf species in a 10-15 gallon, but wouldn't suggest keeping them with a gourami or betta in that tank size...

If you opted for a 10-15 gallon, I would instead recommend:

10-15 chili rasboras
10-15 corydoras pygmaeus, OR hastatus, OR, habrosus.

Otherwise I would say, go for a 20 gallon long if you wish to keep a dwarf gourami and other cory species. Unfortunately a 10g is too small for them. Also, minimum of 6 cories, theyre shoaling fish so need to be kept in larger groups.

Id also, unfortunately, have to rain on your parade here, and I dont like to, but dwarf gourami are prone to a disease called DGD or dwarf gourami disease. It's a blanket term for a myriad of problems dwarves suffer from and most die within 6 months. Over 90% of dwarf gouramis carry this virus as well.

There are, instead, honey gourami which do not carry this problem and are a little less temperamental. Recommend keeping 1 male with 2 females in a 20g, theyre social.

Dwarf, if you still went that route, only 1 as nearly all sold are males and males will fight with other males.

Reactions: Fishenjoyer

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with NoodleCats. A 20g long tank will give you more options if you don't have the tank yet.

I too would get honey gouramis (natural "wild" color for preference) instead of dwarfs (dwarves?). Dwarf gouramis are just not very healthy anymore :( You don't want their likely health problems, too many issues, many untreatable. If you decide to try 1 anyway, just go with 1 in a 20 long...& be prepared for bad things to happen.

Dwarf corys are adorable! Pygmys are more mid-water swimmers; habrosus & hastatus bottom fish. Like NC said get at LEAST 6, more is more fun! Get 8 ;)

I like tiny rasboras or maybe ember tetras. I haven't kept embers. Shrimp are also a possibility. Neocaridina come in several colors including red cherry, blue, yellow, orange & green. They are surprisingly entertaining to watch.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would recommend aspidoras as a good alternative to cories.

Not that different, but small and always seemed more active to me

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes dougall, they are similar to dwarf corys ;) but maybe harder to find? I've only seen them for sale a few times, I haven't kept them...You know me, loaches first, then catfish...& then "other" fish or animals, lol.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Lots of fish stores will just see the name on a fish list and not bother to order them,just because they do not know what they are.

If they were sold as dwarf cories you would see a lot more of them.

Fishenjoyer

Registered Member
Oct 2, 2021
NoodleCats

Thank you for this this is very helpful to me!
Also it’s not raining on my parade I just like fish and whether or not I get a gouramis doesn’t hurt me at all, As long I get some type of fish I’ll be satisfied?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store