Will different types of Cory cats school together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishstix3000

Beware the Caerbannog Rabbit!
Nov 23, 2008
My tank is 29 gallons. I don't think there is enough room for a school of each. How many would fit happily? Sounds like the bronze ones are fun. Does the behavior differ from type to type?

The one I bought that they called "dalmation" was a peppered, judging by jackiomy's pictures.

Thanks for all of the advice! I'm so glad there are people out there who know what they are doing. Saves the rest of us from a lot of blundering around!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
My tank is 29 gallons. I don't think there is enough room for a school of each. How many would fit happily? Sounds like the bronze ones are fun. Does the behavior differ from type to type?

The one I bought that they called "dalmation" was a peppered, judging by jackiomy's pictures.

Thanks for all of the advice! I'm so glad there are people out there who know what they are doing. Saves the rest of us from a lot of blundering around!
The behavior differs alot. The peppered are very kicked back and the bronzes and albino bronzes are very active and cute. I love my peppereds because they seem so regal.

Dexmaster

Space Monkey
Mar 17, 2008
Michigan
Real Name
Jeremiah
I need to get a school of corries in my 90 they would be great.

abi88

Unknown species
Sep 8, 2008
---ish,Wa
www.myspace.com
I see no problem with a medium large school of Cories in that size of a tank! I had a well planted tank with 15-19 Cories in mine! They were super happy and wonder full with my Tetras!:)

So depending on what else you have in your tank you should be able to have at least 12 or so! So I would say get 5 or so of each!:D

Fishstix3000

Nov 23, 2008
Yay! I get to get some of each! Thanks abi88. I was hoping someone would say that. I will just get a couple at a time to make sure I don't crowd them too much.

I mostly have livebearers--platies and guppies. I have a grumpy rainbow shark, a pleco and on oto, a crab, a frog, and a family of mystery snails.

Thanks for all of the advice!

abi88

Unknown species
Sep 8, 2008
---ish,Wa
www.myspace.com
Your welcome:) Oh and be careful about the crab...they can pull out the eyes!:( Oh and you might want to look into a couple of extra Otos for your current one, as they are schooling fish:)

Fishstix3000

Nov 23, 2008
Oh! My poor little lonley oto! Crabs can pull out the EYES?? That is pretty sick. He/she is one of those mini crabs with one big claw and one tiny claw. The fish store people, who I am learning not to trust so very much, said they can't even pinch with those and are safe for all tank buddies. How many otos in a school? Thanks!!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I felt really bad for my lone peppered cory this morning. She is full of eggs and was cuddling up to the other corys and they wouldn't pay any attention to her. I have 4 smaller ones in a different tank and I would move one over if I could figure out which one is a male. I know what I am doing tonight. I am lucky I enjoy sitting watching my fish in the evening. LOL Oh, and definately get more otos. Mine are inseperable.

abi88

Unknown species
Sep 8, 2008
---ish,Wa
www.myspace.com
Well IMO schooling and shoaling fish do best-for the most part-in a group of at least 5...for your size of tank-as with as small as Otos stay I would say between 7 and 11! They are AWESOME little fish...and have Great personalty and are SOOO fun to watch when they are in a large group--so much like Cories!:D

As for the Crabs yes I have seen their "work" first hand! Its NOT a pretty sight!:(

Fishstix3000

Nov 23, 2008
I just added 4 more peppered cories to my tank. (Already had 1 peppered and 1 albino) They are just getting used to it. I can't wait to see how they all act once they are settled in! I will probably add some more albinos if the one I have is not part of the group.

I wish I had a bigger tank! I went from a 5 gal to a 29 gal. It seemed huge at the time, but now it seems like it isn't going to be big enough! I want to get some oto buddies for my single, lonely oto, but I'm afraid I am approaching my max crowd of fish for my tank size. Especially if my guppy fry grow into adults. Sigh.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for all the info and advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store